🏠 News Empire
world

Ukraine Strikes Russian Oil Terminal Near St Petersburg; Denies Russian Capture of Kostyantynivka

Published on: 05 Jul 2026, 12:23 AM
Ukraine Strikes Russian Oil Terminal Near St Petersburg; Denies Russian Capture of Kostyantynivka

Ukraine launched a large-scale drone attack on a major oil terminal in Russia's Leningrad region, near St Petersburg, overnight, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy confirmed on Sunday. The terminal, one of Russia's largest, is capable of producing 12.5 million tonnes of fuel products annually and is considered key infrastructure funding Russia's war effort, according to Kyiv.

St Petersburg Governor Aleksandr Beglov acknowledged the attack, stating that 72 drones were shot down over the region and that the terminal was hit, though he reported no casualties. He urged residents to stay indoors and warned of possible mobile internet disruptions.

Ukraine has intensified long-range drone strikes on Russian energy sites in recent months, claiming nearly 43% of Russia's oil refining capacity is now disabled—a figure not independently verified. Kyiv argues these strikes are justified as Russia depends heavily on oil and gas exports to fund its military operations.

Russian President Vladimir Putin admitted last week, for the first time, that fuel shortages exist due to Ukrainian strikes and signed a law aimed at boosting domestic fuel supply.

Zelenskyy said the targets were approximately 850 km from Ukraine's border and released a video showing a drone approaching the site, followed by thick black smoke. Ukraine also claimed to have struck a naval base at Kronstadt, part of Russia's Baltic Fleet, though Moscow has not responded to that claim.

Separately, Ukraine's military denied Russian claims of capturing the eastern town of Kostyantynivka. Military spokesperson Major Andriy Kovalyov said Ukrainian forces still hold the town, though small Russian infantry groups had infiltrated the area and were being cleared. Putin had earlier claimed Russian troops captured the town in June, but provided no evidence. Zelenskyy responded sarcastically on Telegram, inviting Putin to meet him there if the claim were true, and accused the Russian leader of misrepresenting the battlefield situation.

Russia's defence ministry said it downed over 500 Ukrainian drones and missiles overnight, describing the strikes as an attempt to shift attention from a deadly attack on Kyiv and setbacks in Kostyantynivka. Both sides appear to be positioning themselves ahead of next week's NATO summit in Turkey.

Latest in World 10
Israel Orders Criminal Probes Into Gaza Child, Paramedic Deaths
world

Israel Orders Criminal Probes Into Gaza Child, Paramedic Deaths

Israel's military has ordered criminal investigations into the killings of five-year-old Hind Rajab and her family, and 15 Palestinian paramedics in Gaza. No criminal probe will be launched into other incidents that killed aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 01:02 PM
Read More →
Gaza: Israeli Military Launches Criminal Probe into Death of Six-Year-Old Hind Rajab
world

Gaza: Israeli Military Launches Criminal Probe into Death of Six-Year-Old Hind Rajab

The Israeli military has ordered a criminal investigation into the January 2024 killing of six-year-old Hind Rajab in Gaza. The case, which involved the deaths of her family members and two paramedics, drew global condemnation after an audio recording of the child's pleas for help emerged. The IDF cited alleged coordination failures with the Palestine Red Crescent ambulance.

BBC News 19 Aug 2026, 12:18 PM
Read More →
Liberia to host 1,200 US deportees as 'guests' in migration deal
world

Liberia to host 1,200 US deportees as 'guests' in migration deal

Liberia has agreed to accept up to 1,200 foreign nationals deported from the US, calling it a humanitarian gesture. The first group of 20 arrives this week, with officials stressing the deportees are not criminals and will be free to leave or seek asylum. The deal is the latest in a series of third-country arrangements by the Trump administration.

BBC News 19 Aug 2026, 10:47 AM
Read More →
Trump's NATO Summit exit: Three-plane switch amid reported Iranian threat
world

Trump's NATO Summit exit: Three-plane switch amid reported Iranian threat

U.S. President Donald Trump left the NATO Summit in Türkiye using a complex three-aircraft switch after intelligence reported a credible Iranian threat and a man with a shoulder-fired missile. The elaborate security measure involved a Qatar-donated Boeing 747-8, an older VC-25A, and a smaller C-32A, with a stopover in the U.K. to further confuse potential threats.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 06:28 AM
Read More →
→ View All World News