🏠 News Empire
world

Israel Orders Criminal Probes Into Gaza Child, Paramedic Deaths

Published on: 19 Aug 2026, 01:02 PM
Israel Orders Criminal Probes Into Gaza Child, Paramedic Deaths

Israel's military announced on Wednesday that it would launch criminal investigations into two separate attacks on Palestinians in Gaza that drew international condemnation. The cases involve the killing of five-year-old Hind Rajab and her family, and the deaths of 15 Palestinian paramedics. The decisions come after a review of 150 incidents of troop conduct in the conflict, the military said.

However, the military confirmed that it would not pursue criminal investigations into three other incidents that killed aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders. The statement did not address several other high-profile killings that the military had previously pledged to investigate, including an Israeli strike on a hospital in southern Gaza in August 2025 that killed five journalists, including Mariam Dagga, a visual journalist who freelanced for the Associated Press and other news organisations.

The killing of Hind Rajab in February 2024 and the killing of the 15 medics in May 2025 have both drawn widespread attention due to the circumstances surrounding the deaths.

Hind Rajab was killed alongside her relatives while attempting to flee Gaza City during an Israeli offensive. According to reports, Israeli troops opened fire on the vehicle carrying Hind, four of her cousins, and her aunt and uncle. Her 15-year-old cousin, Layan Hamada, called the Palestinian Red Crescent paramedic centre during the incident, saying that a tank was approaching and that her family had been killed. The recording of the call captures further gunshots seconds later, followed by silence. Hind was the only survivor in the car.

The Red Crescent remained in contact with Hind as they sought permission from the military to send a rescue team. Contact was eventually lost. Twelve days later, the bodies of Hind, her five relatives, and two paramedics who had attempted to reach them were found.

The second case involves the deaths of 15 Palestinian paramedics in the southern city of Rafah. According to phone footage and the testimony of the sole survivor, Israeli troops opened fire on the first ambulance that was driving to retrieve casualties from an Israeli offensive. When other emergency vehicles went out to search for the first one, they too were fired upon. Troops subsequently bulldozed the bodies and the mangled vehicles into a mass grave. UN and rescue workers were only able to reach the site a week later to recover the bodies.

The Israeli military initially stated that it opened fire because the vehicles were “advancing suspiciously” on nearby troops without headlights or emergency signals. But after footage emerged showing the Red Crescent and Civil Defence teams driving slowly with their emergency lights flashing and logos clearly visible, the military backtracked from that account.

Eid Azizi, a Palestinian Red Crescent spokesperson, told the Associated Press in a phone call: “We are not obligated to prove the truth because it is already proven to the whole world. We shouldn't have reached this point if they respected and followed the international humanitarian law.”

The military's decision to launch criminal investigations in these two cases marks a rare step in the ongoing conflict, but human rights groups have repeatedly called for independent and transparent inquiries into all incidents involving civilian deaths. The lack of criminal probes into the aid worker deaths has also raised concerns among international observers about accountability. The military has not provided further details on the scope or timeline of the investigations.

Latest in World 10
Gaza: Israeli Military Launches Criminal Probe into Death of Six-Year-Old Hind Rajab
world

Gaza: Israeli Military Launches Criminal Probe into Death of Six-Year-Old Hind Rajab

The Israeli military has ordered a criminal investigation into the January 2024 killing of six-year-old Hind Rajab in Gaza. The case, which involved the deaths of her family members and two paramedics, drew global condemnation after an audio recording of the child's pleas for help emerged. The IDF cited alleged coordination failures with the Palestine Red Crescent ambulance.

BBC News 19 Aug 2026, 12:18 PM
Read More →
Liberia to host 1,200 US deportees as 'guests' in migration deal
world

Liberia to host 1,200 US deportees as 'guests' in migration deal

Liberia has agreed to accept up to 1,200 foreign nationals deported from the US, calling it a humanitarian gesture. The first group of 20 arrives this week, with officials stressing the deportees are not criminals and will be free to leave or seek asylum. The deal is the latest in a series of third-country arrangements by the Trump administration.

BBC News 19 Aug 2026, 10:47 AM
Read More →
Trump's NATO Summit exit: Three-plane switch amid reported Iranian threat
world

Trump's NATO Summit exit: Three-plane switch amid reported Iranian threat

U.S. President Donald Trump left the NATO Summit in Türkiye using a complex three-aircraft switch after intelligence reported a credible Iranian threat and a man with a shoulder-fired missile. The elaborate security measure involved a Qatar-donated Boeing 747-8, an older VC-25A, and a smaller C-32A, with a stopover in the U.K. to further confuse potential threats.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 06:28 AM
Read More →
US Sanctions ICC President Tomoko Akane, Senior Lawyer in New Escalation
world

US Sanctions ICC President Tomoko Akane, Senior Lawyer in New Escalation

The United States has imposed sanctions on ICC President Tomoko Akane and senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye, drawing sharp criticism from the court and human rights groups. Washington says the officials pursued cases against countries that have not consented to ICC jurisdiction. The move is part of a broader U.S. campaign against the tribunal.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 01:17 AM
Read More →
→ View All World News