🏠 News Empire
world

Ukraine's Ex-Defence Minister Urges Path to Elections Despite Martial Law

Published on: 19 Aug 2026, 05:03 AM
Ukraine's Ex-Defence Minister Urges Path to Elections Despite Martial Law

Ukraine's former Defence Minister Mykhailo Fedorov, who was dismissed last month, has called for a move towards holding elections that have been suspended since Russia's full-scale invasion began in February 2022. In a video statement posted on YouTube on Tuesday (August 18, 2026), he argued that democracy cannot be indefinitely shelved even in wartime.

"Democracy cannot be held hostage by Russia," Mr. Fedorov said. "We are fighting precisely because we want to remain a free European state." He urged the government to find a "legal, safe, and realistic mechanism" that would allow Ukraine to restore a full democratic process even as the war continues.

Ukraine has been under martial law since the invasion, which legally prohibits holding elections. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy's five-year term officially ended in May 2024, but he has continued in office under martial law, a situation accepted by Western allies as a necessary wartime measure. The last presidential and parliamentary elections were held in 2019.

Mr. Fedorov, who was appointed Defence Minister in January, acknowledged the significant challenges of holding a vote during a conflict. These include ensuring that soldiers fighting on the front line, civilians in areas near the fighting, and millions of Ukrainians who have taken refuge abroad can all exercise their right to vote. "This is complex... But complexity does not mean impossibility," he said.

His remarks come amid a growing debate within Ukraine about the feasibility and legitimacy of postponing elections indefinitely. Some political analysts have argued that maintaining democratic processes is essential for Ukraine's claim to be defending European values against Russian aggression. Others insist that holding elections during the war would be logistically impossible and could be exploited by Russia.

Mr. Fedorov served as Defence Minister for only six months but built a reputation as a reformer. He sought to address a military dogged by corruption scandals, equipment shortages, absenteeism, and an unpopular mobilisation drive. His dismissal in July triggered weeks of protests, with demonstrators demanding his reinstatement and criticising the government's war management. President Zelenskyy also came under pressure, and shortly after the protests began, he replaced the army chief, Oleksandr Syrsky, who was widely seen as Mr. Fedorov's rival.

In the video, Mr. Fedorov did not reveal his own political plans. He has consistently said he would return to government only as Defence Minister. His former adviser and key backer, Sergiy Sternenko, said another demonstration in support of Mr. Fedorov is planned outside parliament on Wednesday (August 19, 2026).

Meanwhile, Yevgeniy Khmara, a career intelligence official with a low political profile, has been appointed acting Defence Minister pending confirmation by parliament. The government has not yet responded officially to Mr. Fedorov's call.

Any move to hold elections would require changes to the legal framework governing martial law. Under the Ukrainian constitution, elections cannot be held during a state of martial law, so a legislative amendment would be necessary. Additionally, arrangements would need to be made for voting by military personnel, internally displaced people, and the large diaspora abroad, as well as ensuring the security of polling stations in a war zone.

Mr. Fedorov's appeal is likely to intensify the political debate over how Ukraine can preserve its democratic institutions while defending against Russian aggression. It also adds to the pressure on President Zelenskyy, who has faced mounting criticism over the handling of the war and the postponement of elections.

Latest in World 10
Israel Orders Criminal Probes Into Gaza Child, Paramedic Deaths
world

Israel Orders Criminal Probes Into Gaza Child, Paramedic Deaths

Israel's military has ordered criminal investigations into the killings of five-year-old Hind Rajab and her family, and 15 Palestinian paramedics in Gaza. No criminal probe will be launched into other incidents that killed aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 01:02 PM
Read More →
Gaza: Israeli Military Launches Criminal Probe into Death of Six-Year-Old Hind Rajab
world

Gaza: Israeli Military Launches Criminal Probe into Death of Six-Year-Old Hind Rajab

The Israeli military has ordered a criminal investigation into the January 2024 killing of six-year-old Hind Rajab in Gaza. The case, which involved the deaths of her family members and two paramedics, drew global condemnation after an audio recording of the child's pleas for help emerged. The IDF cited alleged coordination failures with the Palestine Red Crescent ambulance.

BBC News 19 Aug 2026, 12:18 PM
Read More →
Liberia to host 1,200 US deportees as 'guests' in migration deal
world

Liberia to host 1,200 US deportees as 'guests' in migration deal

Liberia has agreed to accept up to 1,200 foreign nationals deported from the US, calling it a humanitarian gesture. The first group of 20 arrives this week, with officials stressing the deportees are not criminals and will be free to leave or seek asylum. The deal is the latest in a series of third-country arrangements by the Trump administration.

BBC News 19 Aug 2026, 10:47 AM
Read More →
Trump's NATO Summit exit: Three-plane switch amid reported Iranian threat
world

Trump's NATO Summit exit: Three-plane switch amid reported Iranian threat

U.S. President Donald Trump left the NATO Summit in Türkiye using a complex three-aircraft switch after intelligence reported a credible Iranian threat and a man with a shoulder-fired missile. The elaborate security measure involved a Qatar-donated Boeing 747-8, an older VC-25A, and a smaller C-32A, with a stopover in the U.K. to further confuse potential threats.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 06:28 AM
Read More →
US Sanctions ICC President Tomoko Akane, Senior Lawyer in New Escalation
world

US Sanctions ICC President Tomoko Akane, Senior Lawyer in New Escalation

The United States has imposed sanctions on ICC President Tomoko Akane and senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye, drawing sharp criticism from the court and human rights groups. Washington says the officials pursued cases against countries that have not consented to ICC jurisdiction. The move is part of a broader U.S. campaign against the tribunal.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 01:17 AM
Read More →
→ View All World News