🏠 News Empire
world

Turkey rejects Israel's 'untenable' allegations over Syria airbase strike

Published on: 19 Aug 2026, 01:11 PM
Turkey rejects Israel's 'untenable' allegations over Syria airbase strike

Turkey on Wednesday firmly rejected what it called “untenable allegations” by Israel regarding its military position in Syria, following an Israeli airstrike on a Syrian air base near the Turkish border. The Israeli government had said Syria was on the verge of permitting Turkish troops to deploy at the base, a claim Ankara dismissed as an attempt to legitimise the attack.

The airstrikes, carried out on Tuesday against the Abu al-Duhur base near Aleppo, drew condemnation from Turkey and criticism from the United States' special envoy for Syria and Iraq, Tom Barrack, who described the action as an “unnecessary escalation”. The base is located in Syria's Aleppo province, close to the Turkish border.

In a statement late Tuesday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said Syria was on the verge of violating a “status quo agreed with Israel in security matters” by allowing Turkish troops to deploy at the airbase. The statement added that such a deployment would threaten Israel's security and that Israel would not tolerate it.

Responding, Turkey's presidency said the “imputations” from Mr. Netanyahu's office stemmed from his intention to pursue “expansionist and destabilising policies” ahead of elections in Israel. It added that lasting regional peace could only be achieved if Israel respected international law and abandoned its “aggressive and coercive policies”.

“The untenable allegations put forward by the Israeli Prime Minister's Office are intended to legitimise Israel's unlawful airstrikes targeting Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity,” the Turkish presidency said on X, without explicitly referring to any potential deployment plans.

It further stated that Turkey will resolutely continue to cooperate with the Syrian Government on a legitimate basis for the establishment of peace, stability, and prosperity in Syria, and will never allow the destabilisation of the country.

The strikes come amid worsening security tensions between Israel and Turkey, and increasingly sharp rhetoric between the two nations over Syria, where both militaries are active. Turkey, which has NATO's second-largest army and has emerged as one of Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa's main allies, accuses Israel of trying to destabilise Syria and undermine its new administration. Ankara has repeatedly called for international pressure on Israel to respect Syria's territorial integrity.

Turkey has been training Syria's army, helping rebuild its state institutions and infrastructure, and providing military and diplomatic support. Last year, Turkey and Israel, also sharply at odds over the war in Gaza, established a line of communication to avoid any incidents in Syria.

Tom Barrack, the U.S. special presidential envoy for Syria and Iraq, told Reuters after the strikes that Washington was working to establish a deconfliction mechanism among Israel, Turkey and Syria. He added that the U.S. already facilitates an information-sharing and dialogue mechanism among the parties.

Latest in World 10
Israel Orders Criminal Probes Into Gaza Child, Paramedic Deaths
world

Israel Orders Criminal Probes Into Gaza Child, Paramedic Deaths

Israel's military has ordered criminal investigations into the killings of five-year-old Hind Rajab and her family, and 15 Palestinian paramedics in Gaza. No criminal probe will be launched into other incidents that killed aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 01:02 PM
Read More →
Gaza: Israeli Military Launches Criminal Probe into Death of Six-Year-Old Hind Rajab
world

Gaza: Israeli Military Launches Criminal Probe into Death of Six-Year-Old Hind Rajab

The Israeli military has ordered a criminal investigation into the January 2024 killing of six-year-old Hind Rajab in Gaza. The case, which involved the deaths of her family members and two paramedics, drew global condemnation after an audio recording of the child's pleas for help emerged. The IDF cited alleged coordination failures with the Palestine Red Crescent ambulance.

BBC News 19 Aug 2026, 12:18 PM
Read More →
Liberia to host 1,200 US deportees as 'guests' in migration deal
world

Liberia to host 1,200 US deportees as 'guests' in migration deal

Liberia has agreed to accept up to 1,200 foreign nationals deported from the US, calling it a humanitarian gesture. The first group of 20 arrives this week, with officials stressing the deportees are not criminals and will be free to leave or seek asylum. The deal is the latest in a series of third-country arrangements by the Trump administration.

BBC News 19 Aug 2026, 10:47 AM
Read More →
Trump's NATO Summit exit: Three-plane switch amid reported Iranian threat
world

Trump's NATO Summit exit: Three-plane switch amid reported Iranian threat

U.S. President Donald Trump left the NATO Summit in Türkiye using a complex three-aircraft switch after intelligence reported a credible Iranian threat and a man with a shoulder-fired missile. The elaborate security measure involved a Qatar-donated Boeing 747-8, an older VC-25A, and a smaller C-32A, with a stopover in the U.K. to further confuse potential threats.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 06:28 AM
Read More →
US Sanctions ICC President Tomoko Akane, Senior Lawyer in New Escalation
world

US Sanctions ICC President Tomoko Akane, Senior Lawyer in New Escalation

The United States has imposed sanctions on ICC President Tomoko Akane and senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye, drawing sharp criticism from the court and human rights groups. Washington says the officials pursued cases against countries that have not consented to ICC jurisdiction. The move is part of a broader U.S. campaign against the tribunal.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 01:17 AM
Read More →
→ View All World News