🏠 News Empire
world

Millions Gather in Tehran for Funeral of Iran's Supreme Leader Khamenei

Published on: 05 Jul 2026, 03:55 AM
Millions Gather in Tehran for Funeral of Iran's Supreme Leader Khamenei

Millions of people are expected to attend funeral ceremonies across Iran and Iraq until July 9 for Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who was killed along with members of his family in a strike on his compound on February 28. Authorities are preparing for large crowds as funeral ceremonies begin across the country.

Iranian officials have put emergency plans in place amid concerns that the scale of the gatherings could lead to casualties. A report by Germany's Die Welt, citing a classified document, said authorities are preparing for a possible death toll of between 1,500 and 3,000 during the processions due to overcrowding or related incidents.

Iran has begun six days of public funeral ceremonies, with events starting in Tehran and later moving to Iraq before burial. Officials expect between 15 and 20 million people to attend in Tehran alone over the next three days. Meanwhile, Israel has continued strikes in southern Lebanon, saying it is targeting Hezbollah infrastructure despite a framework agreement reached last month to end hostilities.

The late supreme leader's successor, his son Mojtaba Khamenei, has not yet made a public appearance, adding to doubts about his health and fueling questions over who is leading the nation. Over 10 million people and delegates from 100 countries are expected at the funeral.

Funeral prayers for Khamenei and four members of his family were held in Tehran at the Imam Khomeini Grand Musalla, where his body had been lying in state since Saturday. According to the Tasnim news agency, the capacity of the main courtyard was filled hours before the start of the congregational prayer.

Huge crowds poured into Tehran for the ceremonies. Mourners visited Khamenei's coffin, with some chanting political slogans. US President Donald Trump said that 'neither side will shoot the other' during the funeral proceedings and that talks with Iran will resume once ceremonies conclude. Israeli forces continued attacks on Lebanon, killing at least one person in the south.

Latest in World 10
Israel Orders Criminal Probes Into Gaza Child, Paramedic Deaths
world

Israel Orders Criminal Probes Into Gaza Child, Paramedic Deaths

Israel's military has ordered criminal investigations into the killings of five-year-old Hind Rajab and her family, and 15 Palestinian paramedics in Gaza. No criminal probe will be launched into other incidents that killed aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 01:02 PM
Read More →
Gaza: Israeli Military Launches Criminal Probe into Death of Six-Year-Old Hind Rajab
world

Gaza: Israeli Military Launches Criminal Probe into Death of Six-Year-Old Hind Rajab

The Israeli military has ordered a criminal investigation into the January 2024 killing of six-year-old Hind Rajab in Gaza. The case, which involved the deaths of her family members and two paramedics, drew global condemnation after an audio recording of the child's pleas for help emerged. The IDF cited alleged coordination failures with the Palestine Red Crescent ambulance.

BBC News 19 Aug 2026, 12:18 PM
Read More →
Liberia to host 1,200 US deportees as 'guests' in migration deal
world

Liberia to host 1,200 US deportees as 'guests' in migration deal

Liberia has agreed to accept up to 1,200 foreign nationals deported from the US, calling it a humanitarian gesture. The first group of 20 arrives this week, with officials stressing the deportees are not criminals and will be free to leave or seek asylum. The deal is the latest in a series of third-country arrangements by the Trump administration.

BBC News 19 Aug 2026, 10:47 AM
Read More →
Trump's NATO Summit exit: Three-plane switch amid reported Iranian threat
world

Trump's NATO Summit exit: Three-plane switch amid reported Iranian threat

U.S. President Donald Trump left the NATO Summit in Türkiye using a complex three-aircraft switch after intelligence reported a credible Iranian threat and a man with a shoulder-fired missile. The elaborate security measure involved a Qatar-donated Boeing 747-8, an older VC-25A, and a smaller C-32A, with a stopover in the U.K. to further confuse potential threats.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 06:28 AM
Read More →
→ View All World News