🏠 News Empire
world

Islamabad Emerges as Likely Venue for Next U.S.-Iran Talks: Report

Published on: 05 Jul 2026, 06:12 PM
Islamabad Emerges as Likely Venue for Next U.S.-Iran Talks: Report

Pakistan's capital Islamabad is emerging as the leading venue for the next round of technical negotiations between the United States and Iran, according to a media report published on Sunday (July 5, 2026).

The U.S. and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on June 18, aimed at restoring peace in West Asia. This was followed by technical-level talks in Switzerland on June 21, with Pakistan and Qatar serving as mediators.

The resumption of talks is part of ongoing diplomatic efforts to resolve long-standing disputes between Washington and Tehran, reported Dawn, quoting diplomatic sources.

“There are two possible venues for the technical talks — Islamabad and the Burgenstock resort in Switzerland,” one diplomatic source said. “Islamabad, however, is the more likely option.”

The technical talks are expected to take place on July 11, although a final decision on the venue has yet to be announced.

The talks were temporarily delayed due to the multi-day state funeral ceremonies for Iran’s late Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Iranian officials have indicated that the composition of Tehran’s delegation will be announced after the funeral ceremonies conclude.

Khamenei, who ruled Iran for three decades, was killed on February 28, the first day of massive U.S. and Israeli joint air strikes on Tehran. Starting on Sunday (July 5, 2026), burial ceremonies are being held in Tehran and Qom and will continue until Tuesday (July 7, 2026). The final burial ceremony will take place in Mashhad on Thursday (July 9, 2026).

According to Dawn, diplomatic sources said the negotiations will focus on Iran’s nuclear programme, sanctions relief, and frozen Iranian assets abroad. Discussions are also expected to address regional security issues, including stability in the Strait of Hormuz and the recently agreed ceasefire in Lebanon.

The July 11 meeting is intended to advance the framework established under the Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding, signed two weeks ago, which gave both sides 60 days to negotiate a comprehensive agreement on Iran’s nuclear programme and related issues.

These latest diplomatic efforts follow indirect technical discussions held in Doha earlier this week. U.S. President Donald Trump described those talks as “very good”, while Iranian officials said the two sides had reached an understanding on the partial release of billions of dollars in frozen Iranian assets. U.S. officials, however, reportedly disputed that any such agreement had been reached.

Diplomatic sources said mediators from Qatar and Pakistan continued to facilitate indirect contacts during the pause in negotiations, focusing on ensuring freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz and preserving the 60-day ceasefire agreed after June negotiations in Switzerland.

The most recent high-level negotiations were held at Switzerland’s Burgenstock resort and were mediated by Qatar and Pakistan. Those talks produced what negotiators described as a roadmap for reaching a broader agreement covering Iran’s nuclear programme, sanctions relief, maritime security, and regional de-escalation.

Diplomatic sources said marathon negotiating sessions addressed nuclear restrictions, sanctions relief, security in the Strait of Hormuz, and the Lebanon ceasefire. Although negotiators reported progress, they cautioned that the process remained fragile amid continuing tensions between Washington and Tehran.

Officials familiar with the negotiations said the next round of high-level direct talks is expected to take place in Doha during the third week of July, after technical teams complete work on the details of a possible agreement.

Latest in World 10
Israel Orders Criminal Probes Into Gaza Child, Paramedic Deaths
world

Israel Orders Criminal Probes Into Gaza Child, Paramedic Deaths

Israel's military has ordered criminal investigations into the killings of five-year-old Hind Rajab and her family, and 15 Palestinian paramedics in Gaza. No criminal probe will be launched into other incidents that killed aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 01:02 PM
Read More →
Gaza: Israeli Military Launches Criminal Probe into Death of Six-Year-Old Hind Rajab
world

Gaza: Israeli Military Launches Criminal Probe into Death of Six-Year-Old Hind Rajab

The Israeli military has ordered a criminal investigation into the January 2024 killing of six-year-old Hind Rajab in Gaza. The case, which involved the deaths of her family members and two paramedics, drew global condemnation after an audio recording of the child's pleas for help emerged. The IDF cited alleged coordination failures with the Palestine Red Crescent ambulance.

BBC News 19 Aug 2026, 12:18 PM
Read More →
Liberia to host 1,200 US deportees as 'guests' in migration deal
world

Liberia to host 1,200 US deportees as 'guests' in migration deal

Liberia has agreed to accept up to 1,200 foreign nationals deported from the US, calling it a humanitarian gesture. The first group of 20 arrives this week, with officials stressing the deportees are not criminals and will be free to leave or seek asylum. The deal is the latest in a series of third-country arrangements by the Trump administration.

BBC News 19 Aug 2026, 10:47 AM
Read More →
Trump's NATO Summit exit: Three-plane switch amid reported Iranian threat
world

Trump's NATO Summit exit: Three-plane switch amid reported Iranian threat

U.S. President Donald Trump left the NATO Summit in Türkiye using a complex three-aircraft switch after intelligence reported a credible Iranian threat and a man with a shoulder-fired missile. The elaborate security measure involved a Qatar-donated Boeing 747-8, an older VC-25A, and a smaller C-32A, with a stopover in the U.K. to further confuse potential threats.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 06:28 AM
Read More →
→ View All World News