Zimbabwe ferry tragedy: Death toll reaches 84, search for missing continues
HARARE, Zimbabwe — The death toll from last week's ferry capsizing on Lake Kariba has risen to 84, Zimbabwean police said on Sunday, as rescue teams continued to search for more bodies in the vast inland waterway.
The ferry, which was travelling from the town of Kariba to rural and fishing communities in the country's northwest, overturned in strong waves on Tuesday. Police confirmed that 77 people were rescued, but the exact number of passengers remains unclear. Initial estimates suggested the vessel might have been carrying as many as 153 people — well above its authorised capacity of 90.
“Search efforts are still underway in a bid to recover victims identified as missing,” police said in a statement on Sunday. The age of the ferry has also drawn scrutiny, with officials describing it as an ageing vessel used by communities where road networks are damaged and public transportation is scarce.
The latest figures show that at least 18 children are among the dead, with the youngest victim just one year old. Police reported that 16 of the deceased were aged ten or younger, underscoring the heavy toll on families who rely on such boats for essential travel.
The disaster has brought renewed attention to boat safety standards in a region where overcrowding and lack of life jackets are common. Lake Kariba, the world's largest human-made lake by volume, was created by damming the Zambezi River in the late 1950s and early 1960s. It stretches more than 200 kilometres and is up to 40 kilometres wide in places, making rescue operations challenging.
Zimbabwe and Zambia share the lake, with the border running through its middle. Local authorities have coordinated with their Zambian counterparts to comb the waters for survivors and victims, though rough conditions have hampered efforts.
The tragedy has reignited calls for stricter enforcement of passenger limits and better safety equipment on the vessels that serve as lifelines for isolated communities along the lake's shoreline. The Zimbabwean government has promised a full investigation into the incident, but for now, families wait in anguish as the search continues.
This is one of the deadliest ferry accidents in Zimbabwe's recent history. In 2015, a similar disaster on the Zambezi River killed at least 23 people. Sunday's updated toll, which rose from 72 the previous day, indicates that the final number of victims may climb further as rescue teams reach more remote areas of the lake.
With many bodies yet to be recovered, the emotional and logistical burden on affected communities is immense. Local disaster management agencies have been providing counselling and support to grieving families, while international aid groups have offered assistance in the search and recovery phase.
The incident also highlights broader infrastructure challenges in rural Zimbabwe, where decades of underinvestment and poor road conditions force residents to rely on water transport. The ferry in question was a common sight for locals, many of whom use it for trade, school commutes, and medical visits.
As the search continues, the nation mourns the loss of so many lives, including the young children who were on board. The coming days will be critical in determining the full scale of this tragedy and the steps needed to prevent such a disaster from happening again.