🏠 News Empire
world

Video reveals attack on Indian seafarers in Hormuz; union urges naval protection

Published on: 21 Aug 2026, 03:59 AM
Video reveals attack on Indian seafarers in Hormuz; union urges naval protection

The Federation of Seafarers and Indian Seafarers Union (FSUI) has released a video documenting an attack on a merchant vessel in the Strait of Hormuz on April 22. The vessel carried 22 crew members, 21 of them Indian nationals. The footage, shared on social media platform X, shows several small boats converging on the ship, the firing of an RPG, and crew members scrambling to take cover in alleyways as the confrontation unfolded.

In a post accompanying the video, the FSUI said the attackers were not pirates but naval forces of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC). The union emphasised that the incident highlights the serious risks seafarers face in the strait, a critical chokepoint for global oil shipments. “Advisories and guidelines alone cannot ensure their safety,” the union said, adding that “innocent seafarers need the assured presence of naval forces to truly protect them.”

The video’s release comes amid ongoing tensions in the Middle East that have disrupted commercial shipping in the region. The Strait of Hormuz is a vital waterway through which about a fifth of global oil consumption passes, making its security a matter of international concern.

For India, the welfare of seafarers in the region is a pressing issue. The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) recently said 166 Indian seafarers remain in the Persian Gulf and Strait of Hormuz area. Of these, 125 are on six Indian-flagged vessels, and 41 are working on foreign-flagged ships. The government has been in touch with these crew members and has been coordinating with shipping companies and other countries to ensure their safety.

The scale of the evacuation effort is evident from data provided by the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways. As of August 4, 3,972 Indian seafarers had been repatriated from the Gulf region. This includes those who were stranded on ships in conflict zones as well as others who were due to join vessels that were postponed or cancelled due to the security situation.

India’s significant presence in the global maritime workforce makes these developments particularly relevant. According to the BIMCO-ICS Seafarer Workforce Report, India is the world’s second-largest supplier of seafarers after the Philippines, with 311,936 personnel, which is 12.16 per cent of the global maritime workforce. Indian officers account for 13.41 per cent of the global officer workforce, while 171,218 Indian ratings make up 11.29 per cent of the global ratings workforce. These numbers underscore the country’s reliance on seafaring as a source of employment and foreign exchange.

The human cost of the conflict has also been borne by Indian seafarers. The MEA reported last month that Indian seafarers had recorded the highest number of fatalities among all nationalities in attacks on commercial shipping. The government later informed Parliament that 10 Indian seafarers were among the 16 Indian nationals killed in the Middle East conflict. These deaths have prompted calls for more robust protection for maritime workers.

The FSUI’s decision to release the video serves as a stark reminder of the dangers that continue to exist in the Strait of Hormuz. The union’s demand for a visible naval presence reflects a broader sentiment among seafarers that safety advisories are not sufficient when faced with armed attacks. As the situation in the region evolves, the protection of seafarers remains a critical concern for India and the international community.

Latest in World 10
US Slaps New Sanctions on Cuban Companies and Officials
world

US Slaps New Sanctions on Cuban Companies and Officials

The United States has imposed fresh sanctions on nine Cuban state-owned companies, the Construction Ministry, and officials linked to the Cuban Institute of Friendship with the Peoples. Cuba has condemned the move, citing severe economic strain from the long-standing US embargo.

BBC News 21 Aug 2026, 02:06 AM
Read More →
Five years after Taliban takeover: Afghanistan's peace is shadowed by crises
world

Five years after Taliban takeover: Afghanistan's peace is shadowed by crises

Five years after the Taliban returned to power, Afghanistan has seen a reduction in nationwide conflict, but the country remains burdened by severe restrictions on women and girls, persistent security threats from groups like ISKP, and an economy that is stable yet far from recovered. This report examines the key changes and continuing struggles.

The Hindu 21 Aug 2026, 12:54 AM
Read More →
→ View All World News