US vows 'toughest sanctions in history' on Iran, urges allies to join
The United States has announced that it will impose what it calls the toughest sanctions in history on Iran, a move its Treasury chief said could reduce the need for further major military operations. The statement, made on Thursday, follows a fresh warning by President Donald Trump of economic warfare against Tehran.
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said the new sanctions would be unprecedented in their scope and severity. Speaking to reporters, he suggested that a comprehensive economic pressure campaign could achieve the desired objectives without resorting to large-scale military action. While he did not provide specific details of the measures, he indicated they would target Iran's economy in a manner intended to bring about a fundamental change in behaviour.
On Wednesday, President Trump had taken to social media to threaten "economic warfare" against Iran. He also warned that any country providing what he described as a lifeline to Iran would face severe economic consequences. The President's remarks were seen as an escalation of the administration's rhetoric, moving from diplomatic pressure to explicit threats of economic retaliation against third parties.
In a further development, the United States has warned its allies and China to join the new campaign to isolate the Iranian economy. A US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that Washington was determined to "collapse this regime" in Tehran. This language marks a significant hardening of the American position, which had previously called for a return to negotiations.
The announcement has raised concerns among international observers about the impact on global oil prices and the stability of the region. Iran is one of the world's largest oil producers, and sanctions that affect its exports could have ripple effects on energy markets. The move also comes amid heightened tensions in West Asia, with various proxy conflicts and ongoing nuclear negotiations that have made little progress.
The history of US sanctions on Iran is long and complex. Since the 1979 revolution, Washington has maintained a range of economic and political restrictions on Tehran. In recent years, sanctions have targeted the Iranian banking sector, oil exports, and individuals and entities linked to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. The Obama administration's nuclear deal, which lifted some sanctions in exchange for curbs on Iran's nuclear programme, was abandoned by President Trump in 2018, leading to a policy of "maximum pressure". That policy was continued by the subsequent administration, although with some attempts at diplomatic engagement.
The current announcement suggests a return to an even more aggressive approach. Analysts note that while sanctions can have a significant impact on Iran's economy, they have so far failed to produce the political changes sought by Washington. Iranian officials have repeatedly stated that they will not bow to pressure, and have developed alternative trade mechanisms with countries such as Russia and China.
The response from other nations has been cautious. European allies, who are signatories to the nuclear agreement, have expressed concern about the new sanctions and their potential to destabilise the region. China, a major buyer of Iranian oil, has not yet issued an official statement, but it is expected to resist any attempts to force it to cut imports. Russia has also indicated it will continue its economic cooperation with Iran.
As the situation develops, the international community will be watching closely to see if the United States follows through on its threat and what impact the sanctions will have on both Iran and the broader geopolitical landscape.