US and South Korea end exercises early; North Korea fires missiles in rebuff
The United States and South Korea concluded their annual joint military exercises on Friday, six days ahead of schedule, after U.S. President Donald Trump ordered a reduction in their scale. The move was seen as a conciliatory gesture toward North Korea, but Pyongyang said it was insufficient to resume talks.
Trump directed the Pentagon to "substantially reduce" the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises before they began on Monday. He cited his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea's refusal to support him over the war in Iran.
Kim Yo Jong, the influential sister of the North Korean leader, dismissed the overture on Wednesday, saying that reducing the duration and scope would not change the "provocative and aggressive nature" of the drills. The following day, North Korea fired about 10 short-range ballistic missiles into the sea, following through on its threat to respond to the exercises, which it views as an invasion rehearsal.
The U.S. Pacific Command said the missiles posed no immediate threat to U.S. territory or its allies. It reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to the defence of the U.S. homeland and regional allies.
Kim Yo Jong's statement dampened hopes for an early resumption of talks between Trump and Kim Jong Un, whose earlier nuclear diplomacy collapsed in 2019. Kim has since used the stalemate to modernise his nuclear and missile programmes and align with Russia over its war in Ukraine. He suggested last year that he would not return to talks unless the U.S. drops its demand for denuclearisation as a precondition.
Despite the dismissal, Kim Yo Jong used relatively measured language, avoiding typical harsh rhetoric and mentioning an "excellent" relationship between her brother and Trump. Analysts say this suggests North Korea does not want to completely close the door on future talks, but may be seeking bigger concessions, such as international recognition as a nuclear state and broad sanctions relief.
North Korea's supply of ammunition and troops to Russia has likely brought it economic and military assistance in return. Its expanding ties with Moscow also give it leverage to seek greater support from China, its biggest trading partner.
Leif-Eric Easley, a professor at Ewha University in Seoul, said that after this "strategic play" has run its course, Kim may seek further benefits from Washington. "But that will probably be after the U.S. midterm elections when Trump is expected to be in a weaker domestic political position and in search of headline-grabbing foreign policies."
Kim Dong-Yub, a professor at the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul, said that Kim Yo Jong's statement showed North Korea's position that the personal relationship between her brother and Trump "cannot be a factor that moves current North Korean-U.S. relations." He added that she likely aimed to head off speculation that Trump's move could restore diplomacy, so that North Korea would not be blamed when it does not happen.
Kim Yo Jong also denied Trump's claim that Kim Jong Un had responded to his request for a conversation. When asked by reporters on Wednesday if he would meet Kim Jong Un this year, Trump said, "Yeah, I will be."
The Ulchi Freedom Shield is one of the main annual exercises conducted by the U.S. and South Korea to enhance their ability to cope with potential North Korean aggression. The downsizing has caused worries about joint U.S.-South Korean readiness.