Russian Missile Strikes on Kyiv and Region Kill at Least Eight, Wound Dozens
At least eight people were killed and 33 others wounded in a series of Russian missile strikes targeting Kyiv and the surrounding region, Ukrainian authorities reported on Thursday. The attacks, carried out overnight, hit residential apartment blocks and warehouses, while a children's hospital and a school were also damaged in the barrage.
The State Emergency Service of Ukraine said rescue crews were working to pull survivors from the rubble of destroyed buildings. Two people were reported to have been rescued from debris, and the search for other trapped individuals was ongoing.
The strikes come as part of Russia's continuing military campaign against Ukraine, which has now entered its second year. The Ukrainian capital, situated in the north of the country, has been frequently targeted despite being far from the current front lines in the east and south.
Meanwhile, Romania, a NATO member sharing a border with Ukraine to the north, confirmed that one of its airspace had been breached by a drone during the attack. The Romanian defence ministry said the drone entered national airspace approximately 13 kilometres east of the city of Galați before crashing into an uninhabited area and causing a small fire, which was quickly extinguished. No casualties or material damage were reported, and the air alert raised in the area was subsequently lifted.
The Polish military also announced it had initiated defensive air operations to protect its airspace, as Poland shares a southeastern border with Ukraine. The move was described as a precautionary measure in light of the missile activity nearby.
The overnight strikes mark one of the deadliest attacks on Kyiv in recent weeks. Officials have noted that Russia has intensified its aerial bombardments on urban centres across Ukraine, often using drones and cruise missiles. Ukrainian air defences have intercepted a significant number of incoming projectiles, but some have still managed to hit their targets, resulting in civilian casualties and damage to critical infrastructure.
International reaction to the attacks has been one of condemnation, with Western leaders reiterating their support for Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity. The United Nations has also called for restraint and for the protection of civilians in accordance with international humanitarian law. However, efforts to broker a ceasefire have so far yielded no breakthrough, and the conflict continues to exact a heavy toll on the civilian population.
Local authorities in Kyiv have urged residents to remain vigilant and heed air raid sirens. Schools in the capital have been advised to continue operations with heightened safety measures in place. The damage to the children's hospital and school has raised particular concern among parents and educators, underscoring the risks faced by children in the conflict zone.
The latest casualty figures are likely to rise as rescue operations continue and emergency teams sift through the debris. The attacks also raise renewed questions about the effectiveness of air defence systems and the need for additional military support to Ukraine from its allies. Ukraine has repeatedly called on partner nations to supply more advanced air-defence equipment to counter the ongoing threat from Russian missiles and drones.
As the conflict shows no signs of abating, residents of Kyiv and other Ukrainian cities remain braced for further attacks. The international community, while expressing solidarity with Ukraine, has so far been unable to bring an end to the violence. The human cost continues to mount, with thousands of civilians killed and millions displaced since the start of the full-scale invasion in February 2022.