🏠 News Empire
india

Pinarayi Vijayan urges Kerala government to curb rising prices ahead of Onam

Published on: 22 Aug 2026, 01:21 PM
Pinarayi Vijayan urges Kerala government to curb rising prices ahead of Onam

With Onam just days away, Leader of Opposition Pinarayi Vijayan has called on the Kerala government to take immediate steps to control the rising prices of essential commodities. Speaking to reporters in Thrissur on Saturday, he said the escalating cost of living was putting families under mounting pressure.

Mr. Vijayan said prices of rice, sugar, vegetables and cooking oil had been rising steadily. He noted that rice alone had become costlier by ₹15, while vegetables and fruits were witnessing daily price increases, adding to the burden on households preparing for the festival.

He recalled that Kerala had previously maintained strong market intervention mechanisms during the Onam season. From 2016 until recently, prices of 13 essential commodities had remained unchanged at Supplyco outlets, he said. “That system has now changed,” he alleged, claiming that market intervention through Supplyco and ration shops had weakened after the change in government.

The Opposition Leader pointed out that the price of special rice supplied to priority-category ration card holders had increased from ₹10 to ₹26, while its quality had also deteriorated. Open-market rice prices had risen as well, he said. He also criticised the weakening of vegetable procurement and distribution through Horticorp, which he said had earlier provided consumers relief during periods of price escalation.

Mr. Vijayan further alleged that welfare measures traditionally extended during Onam were being curtailed. In previous years, more than six lakh free Onam kits had been distributed to residents of welfare institutions, he said, but only around 50,000 kits had been distributed so far this year. He claimed there was a “secret move” to reduce the number of kits substantially. Special rice meant for distribution through ration shops had also not reached several places, he added.

He alleged that an assistance scheme benefiting 16 lakh homemakers under a women’s security programme had been discontinued. The quantity of rice distributed to schoolchildren during the Onam season had also been reduced from 5 kg to 4 kg, he said, and distribution had not been completed even after schools closed for the Onam vacation.

Mr. Vijayan also questioned the decision to replace a ₹1,000 assistance provided to people above 60 in the Scheduled Tribe community with mundus. “I do not understand the logic of giving a mundu instead of directly providing the amount to the beneficiaries,” he said.

He expressed concern that there was no clarity on whether welfare pensions would be disbursed before Onam. Mr. Vijayan urged the government to intervene immediately to contain prices and strengthen market intervention through public and cooperative institutions. “The government must wake up and act to keep prices under control,” he said.

Latest in India 10
→ View All India News