🏠 News Empire
world

Lake Kariba ferry tragedy: Death toll rises to 93, now Zimbabwe's worst transport disaster

Published on: 18 Aug 2026, 12:04 PM
Lake Kariba ferry tragedy: Death toll rises to 93, now Zimbabwe's worst transport disaster

The death toll from the ferry disaster on Zimbabwe's Lake Kariba has risen to 93, making it the country's deadliest transport accident, according to the state-run Herald newspaper. The vessel, which had a listed capacity of 90 passengers, was reportedly carrying at least 168 people when it overturned after being struck by a strong wave a week ago.

President Emmerson Mnangagwa declared a state of disaster following the accident. Search and recovery efforts are continuing, with divers working to locate bodies in the vast lake, which straddles the border with Zambia. The lake is one of the world's largest man-made reservoirs, supporting transport, fishing, and providing hydroelectric power to both countries.

The death toll has climbed steadily from 44 at the time of the accident to 84 over the weekend, according to police. A police statement on Tuesday confirmed that nine more bodies had been found, bringing the total to 93. The Herald reports that bodies are now being recovered further away from the scene of the sinking, with some drifting towards Zambia. Police said 83 of the victims had been identified so far, including 39 children.

Provincial Affairs Minister Marian Chombo said 67 people had been rescued after the sinking. However, she acknowledged that identifying some of the recovered bodies has been difficult, with relatives relying on clothing and other personal items. "We are running out of time and DNA may now be needed to assist in the identification process," Chombo was quoted as saying by the Herald.

The ferry is a vital and cheap transport link for rural communities, often carrying parents taking their children home for school holidays and traders. One survivor, Itayi Marumisa, a trader from Mola village, told the AFP news agency that the ferry had been particularly overloaded at the time with goods, and passengers had raised concerns about the rough conditions. "The life jackets were buried under the luggage, and not more than 30 people managed to get them," she said. "Children were screaming and most of the passengers were vomiting, but the captain did not seem to care."

Local councillor Tight Bhusumani, who represents Mola and lost a child in the accident, described the difficult time for his community. "We have distressing cases where a child lost both parents and other siblings, leaving them as the only surviving member of the family," he told the Herald. Other families are still awaiting news of those believed to have been on the ferry.

The disaster has raised questions about safety standards on Lake Kariba's passenger ferries, which are often old and poorly maintained. There have been previous accidents on the lake, but none as deadly as this one. As search and recovery efforts continue, authorities face the challenge of identifying victims and supporting the bereaved communities. The full scale of the tragedy is still unfolding, and the country is in mourning for the lives lost.

Latest in World 10
China's FM Wang Yi to visit South Korea after five-year gap
world

China's FM Wang Yi to visit South Korea after five-year gap

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi will visit South Korea from August 19-20, 2026, his first official trip in five years. He will meet President Lee Jae Myung, National Security Adviser Wi Sung-lac, and Foreign Minister Cho Hyun, with talks expected to cover bilateral ties, Korean Peninsula developments, and regional issues.

The Hindu 18 Aug 2026, 06:55 AM
Read More →
Japan says US-South Korea ties critical as Trump cuts drills, praises Kim
world

Japan says US-South Korea ties critical as Trump cuts drills, praises Kim

Japan called trilateral security cooperation with the US and South Korea critical after President Trump scaled back military drills with Seoul and praised North Korea's Kim Jong Un. Australia voiced concern over North Korea's nuclear and missile programmes, while Seoul defended the exercises and said it could not confirm any communication between Trump and Kim. The move has raised questions about US commitments to East Asian security.

The Hindu 18 Aug 2026, 07:12 AM
Read More →
Strait of Hormuz: Vessel Struck by Projectile, Crew Casualty Reported
world

Strait of Hormuz: Vessel Struck by Projectile, Crew Casualty Reported

A vessel was struck by an unknown projectile in the Strait of Hormuz, causing engine room damage and a crew casualty, the UK Maritime Trade Operations said. Omani Coast Guard assisted the remaining crew, and no environmental impact was reported. The incident adds to severe disruption of shipping through the strait amid the West Asia war.

The Hindu 18 Aug 2026, 05:11 AM
Read More →
Hamas disarmament could begin within a month, says Trump envoy Kushner
world

Hamas disarmament could begin within a month, says Trump envoy Kushner

US President Donald Trump's envoy Jared Kushner said progress on disarming Hamas and moving forward with a Gaza peace plan could begin within 30 days. The comments followed meetings with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and rare direct talks with Hamas, as both sides agreed on American-supervised decommissioning of weapons.

The Hindu 17 Aug 2026, 10:42 PM
Read More →
→ View All World News