Jharkhand CM cancels JSSC-CGL exams, forms panel for reform; students firm on CBI probe
Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Monday announced the cancellation of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examinations, a key demand of students protesting alleged irregularities in state recruitment exams. The decision was taken during an emergency Cabinet meeting that lasted four hours.
Mr. Soren also announced that all examinations conducted by TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL) will be cancelled. A committee under senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal will be formed to bring reforms in the examination process.
Addressing the media, the Chief Minister said a comprehensive inquiry will be conducted into all errors, minor or major, that have occurred since 2014. He also said the government will soon deliberate on amendments made to the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act by the Central Government, and did not rule out a special session on the issue.
Mr. Soren said investigations by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) and the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) have brought to light several shocking facts. He noted that individuals appointed through the CGL process are now being arrested in connection with irregularities in the JPSC examinations. He said there appears to be a complex, interconnected network involving various companies that have operated in the state at different times.
“The scope of the investigation covers all examinations held from 2014 to the present. We have instructed the concerned department and the CID; since the investigation has been initiated, it must be carried out thoroughly,” he said.
Announcing cancellation of all activities associated with TDPL, the Chief Minister said, “We have decided to cancel everything associated with TDPL — including the examinations conducted, the results published, the candidates selected or who participated, and all other activities carried out by TDPL.”
The government has also decided to ensure complete transparency in examination reforms. “I do not consider these young people to be different groups. They are all concerned about their future. The government will move ahead with complete transparency on reforms. There is already an SOP for conducting examinations, and if it had been followed, these irregularities would not have occurred. Nevertheless, further improvements will be made based on suggestions received,” he said.
A portal has been opened for students, teachers and parents to submit suggestions, which will be shared with experts for improving the examination system.
The cancellation of the JSSC-CGL exam comes amid a continuing protest by students in Ranchi, which entered its 24th day on Monday. The agitation has been demanding reforms in the examination system and action against those responsible for alleged irregularities in exams conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC).
Following the Chief Minister’s announcement, students at Jaipal Singh Stadium in Ranchi celebrated the decision. However, they made it clear that their struggle is not over. A protester said, “Our demand for a CBI investigation remains unfulfilled. Our hunger strike will not end until the CBI inquiry takes place. It is a matter of great happiness that the JSSC-CGL exam has been cancelled. We will call off the agitation only after the CBI inquiry is conducted, not before.”
The students have been demanding a CBI probe into the alleged irregularities, arguing that a fair investigation is essential to ensure accountability and justice for affected candidates. The government, so far, has not announced a CBI inquiry, stating that the SIT and CID investigations are ongoing.