Indian sailors refuse risky Strait of Hormuz transit, allege employer coercion
Sixteen Indian sailors aboard an offshore supply vessel have refused to sail through the Strait of Hormuz, alleging that their employer is pressuring them to cross the disputed waterway despite serious security concerns. The crew issued an SOS video through the Forward Seamen's Union of India (FSUI) on August 17, detailing their fears and demanding safe passage.
The Strait of Hormuz is a vital chokepoint for global oil shipments, and tensions have been high in the region following stalled talks between Iran and the United States. Reports suggest that negotiations to de-escalate the conflict have made little progress, raising concerns among seafarers about the safety of transiting the strait.
In the video posted on the social media platform X, the master of the Marshall Islands-flagged vessel AM Pioneer, Anil Raj, said the ship had been at Ras Al Khaimah Port in the United Arab Emirates for a scheduled survey. He claimed that the company initially assured the crew that the ship would cross into Indian waters only when the strait was open for all vessels and considered safe. However, the situation changed last week.
"The company told us that we have to cross the Hormuz Strait to India when the Strait of Hormuz is open for the entire ships and it is very safe to navigate. Now, from last week, the company is forcing us to cross through Hormuz and go to Fujairah," Mr. Raj said in the video. He added that the company had accused him of "misguiding" the crew against the employer, a charge he denied.
The master further alleged that the company had attempted to arrange security and even requested American air support for the passage. "The company is trying to push us through Hormuz in a crooked way and put our lives in danger," he said.
The video shows the crew standing behind Mr. Raj, with the ship's second engineer, who did not identify himself, expressing hesitation. "When Hormuz opens for all the ships, that time I can agree to pass," he said. Another crew member noted that they had been told to keep the vessel ready and sail only when Hormuz was declared safe. "But now we are being forced. We want our life safe and we will not cross Hormuz till it is safe," he said.
In its post on X, the FSUI said that the shipowners and managers of AM Pioneer were "pressuring the Master to force its 16 Indian crew to transit the high-risk Strait of Hormuz." The union added: "The crew has clearly refused. They will not put their lives in danger. They will not sail under dark conditions with communications switched off. No seafarer should risk death for owners' profits or convenience."
According to ship-monitoring website Equasis, AM Pioneer is managed by Alphard Maritime Private Limited, a Mumbai-based company. The vessel is an offshore supply ship that transports equipment, crew, and essential supplies to offshore oil and gas platforms. There was no immediate response from the company to the allegations.
The standoff underscores the risks seafarers face while operating in conflict-prone waters and raises accountability questions for shipping companies that may prioritise operational schedules over crew safety. The crew remains at port, awaiting a resolution that ensures their safe return without compromising their lives.