🏠 News Empire
india

Hyderabad Building Collapse: Two Dead, Rescue Op Underway in Madhapur

Published on: 22 Aug 2026, 11:10 AM
Hyderabad Building Collapse: Two Dead, Rescue Op Underway in Madhapur

Hyderabad: At least two people were killed and several others injured when an under-construction seven-storey building collapsed in the Madhapur area of Hyderabad on Saturday. The incident occurred in Anjaiah Nagar, prompting an immediate response from local police and rescue teams.

Emergency personnel are currently engaged in clearing debris and search operations to locate any individuals trapped beneath the structure. A senior police official confirmed the casualties and said that the rescue operation is progressing. “An under-construction seven-storey building collapsed in Anjaiah Nagar. So far, two people have lost their lives. Rescue teams have reached the spot, clearing of debris is underway, and the rescue operation is in progress. We will provide more details later,” the official said.

Meanwhile, Congress MLA Arekapudi Gandhi alleged that the building lacked proper clearances and had been under official scrutiny prior to the collapse. He claimed that construction had been halted for four months by authorities but was illegally resumed recently. “In Madhapur division, the illegal seven-storey under-construction building was stopped by officials for four months. They recently restarted the construction work illegally. The cellar work was being extended to the adjacent building connected to the seven-storey structure, which led to its sudden collapse,” Gandhi said.

The MLA also drew attention to a broader pattern of illegal construction in the Serilingampally constituency. “People must understand the risks of illegal constructions. Some people are profiting through such illegal constructions. Many such illegal constructions are going on in Serilingampally. We are seizing buildings, but they are not following the norms. A similar incident had happened earlier, and now it has happened again,” he added.

This collapse raises renewed concerns about building safety and regulatory enforcement in rapidly urbanising areas of Hyderabad. Experts point out that unauthorised structures, often built without adhering to safety codes, pose serious risks to workers and nearby residents. Local authorities have faced criticism in the past for not acting decisively against such constructions, despite repeated warnings and prior incidents.

Rescue operations are still underway, and further details are awaited as officials continue their assessment of the site. The exact number of injured and the cause of the collapse have not yet been officially determined, though initial reports suggest structural failure linked to unauthorised modifications.

Latest in India 10
Imran Khan's sister seeks contempt action against Pakistan PM, officials over hospital order
india

Imran Khan's sister seeks contempt action against Pakistan PM, officials over hospital order

Imran Khan's sister Uzma Khan has filed a contempt petition in Pakistan's Supreme Court, accusing the government and officials of violating an order to shift him to a private hospital. The court had directed that Khan be moved to Shifa International Hospital, but he was instead taken to a state-run facility. The government defends its action citing security concerns and has sought a review of the order.

The Hindu 22 Aug 2026, 11:15 AM
Read More →
→ View All India News