Grenade Attack Near Kabul School Wounds Dozens of Children, Officials Say
A grenade attack near a school in Kabul on Monday afternoon wounded numerous children, Afghan authorities said, adding to a grim history of violence against the country's minority Hazara community.
Kabul police spokesman Khalid Zadran said that “several children” had been wounded in the blast, which occurred in the Dasht-e-Barchi neighbourhood, a predominantly Hazara area in the western part of the Afghan capital. He did not provide further details, stating that an investigation was underway.
Afghan media reports said around 50 children were hurt in the attack. The exact number of casualties and the condition of the wounded remained unclear as authorities did not offer an official toll by the time of reporting.
The attack drew strong condemnation from the United Nations. Richard Bennett, the UN special rapporteur for Afghanistan, called it a “heinous attack harming numerous children near a school” and demanded an independent investigation to bring those responsible to justice. In a social media post on Tuesday, he noted that the area had been targeted again, writing, “Once again this mainly Hazara part of Kabul has been targeted. Deplorable!”
No group has claimed responsibility for Monday's attack. However, the Dasht-e-Barchi neighbourhood has been repeatedly hit by bombings and other assaults in recent years.
Hazaras, who make up roughly nine percent of Afghanistan's population, are predominantly Shiite Muslims. They have long faced discrimination in the Sunni-majority country and have been systematically targeted by extremist groups, including the Islamic State.
One of the deadliest attacks in the area occurred in May 2021, just months before the Taliban seized power. Three bombs exploded near a school in Dasht-e-Barchi, killing dozens of people, most of them young Hazara girls who were leaving class. That attack was later claimed by the Islamic State's regional affiliate.
Monday's attack also took place near a school in the same neighbourhood, underscoring the persistent vulnerability of Hazara civilians despite the Taliban government's assurances of security.
Since the Taliban returned to power in August 2021, the overall number of bombings and suicide attacks in Afghanistan has declined. However, the Islamic State's Khorasan Province (IS-K) has remained active, carrying out deadly assaults on schools, mosques, and other civilian targets, particularly in Kabul and other urban centres.
The Taliban has stated that it is committed to protecting all Afghan citizens, including minority groups. Yet, local residents in Dasht-e-Barchi have repeatedly expressed fears of inadequate security and the continued threat of sectarian violence.
The international community has also voiced concerns about the safety of minorities under Taliban rule. UN officials and human rights organisations have urged the Taliban to take concrete steps to protect vulnerable communities and hold perpetrators of attacks accountable.
Tuesday's statements from the UN rapporteur reflect a broader demand for justice. Bennett stressed that an independent, transparent investigation was essential, not only to bring the culprits to justice but also to prevent further cycles of violence against Afghanistan's Hazara population.
The attack near the school has once again highlighted the precarious security situation in Afghanistan, where children, in particular, continue to pay a heavy price in a conflict that has persisted for decades. At the time of writing, medical teams in Kabul were reportedly treating the wounded, and families were anxiously awaiting updates on the condition of the children.