Fake quote from Indian X account fooled Netanyahu, White House: Report
A fabricated quote attributed to a senior Iranian military official, first posted by an Indian X (formerly Twitter) account, was amplified by Israeli and American political leaders, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, before being debunked by international media. The incident highlights the ease with false information can travel across borders and influence diplomatic narratives.
The claim originated on August 5, when the account @RealBababanaras posted a statement allegedly made by Brig Gen Ahmad Vahidi, head of Iran's Revolutionary Guard. The post claimed Vahidi said Iran would continue working on 'enriched uranium or nuclear weapons' until the US and Israel disposed of their own nuclear arsenal. The account provided no source for the quote. Within two hours, another India-based account, @Im_Ritikaa, posted a paraphrased version in Hindi.
Despite the lack of evidence, the statement quickly spread through Israeli media. By the afternoon, the prominent Israeli account Mossad Commentary shared the fake quote, adding that Iran was 'not preparing to abandon its nuclear ambitions.' The post was viewed over 300,000 times. Later, Israeli broadcaster Channel 14 English presented it as a breaking news item, claiming it was 'the first time an Iranian official admitted to developing a nuclear bomb.' The post had nearly 450,000 views at the time of reporting.
By evening, Yair Netanyahu, the Israeli PM's son, reposted both accounts. Hours later, Prime Minister Netanyahu cited the quote during a state ceremony in Jerusalem, presenting it as proof of Iran's nuclear intentions. 'Today we heard Revolutionary Guards commander Vahidi explicitly declaring Iran's intention to continue to develop nuclear weapons,' he said. Within minutes, US ambassador to the UN Mike Waltz, conservative commentator Mark Levin, and Republican senator Rick Scott amplified the claim. Fox News later aired it but subsequently clarified that the quote had been 'taken out of context and amplified.'
The New York Times and Israeli news outlet YNet later found no evidence that Vahidi made any such statement. The actual comments attributed to Vahidi, based on a 2025 statement, indicated Iran's position on nuclear weapons had been transparent and that Tehran was 'ready to do whatever it deems necessary in response to their repeated aggression' — a reference to US and Israeli military actions.
This was not an isolated incident. The same Indian account had previously been cited by Mossad Commentary in at least two posts after the outbreak of the Iran war. In one instance, it reported continuing explosions in Iran as evidence of hidden missiles; in another, it alleged a US strike on a uranium-enrichment facility. Both cited @RealBababanaras as the source.
The episode underscores a growing challenge in the digital age: anonymous accounts with no verifiable credibility can become unwitting or deliberate sources of misinformation. In the context of heightened tensions in the Middle East, such fabrications risk escalating conflict by shaping public opinion and policy decisions.
Fact-checking and responsible sharing remain critical, especially when statements are used to justify military action. This incident serves as a reminder that even the highest offices of power are not immune to the influence of false information circulating online.