🏠 News Empire
india

Centre Orders Google, Apple to Remove 7 Battery Management Apps Over E-Rickshaw Shutdown Fears

Published on: 03 Jul 2026, 02:17 PM
Centre Orders Google, Apple to Remove 7 Battery Management Apps Over E-Rickshaw Shutdown Fears

The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) on Friday directed Google and Apple to remove seven battery management applications from their respective app stores, citing concerns that the apps were being misused to remotely shut down batteries in e-rickshaws and other electric vehicles, official sources said.

The apps identified include BAT-BMS, SMART BMS, and LOSSIGY, among others. Officials allege these applications were used to disable battery-operated vehicles via Bluetooth connectivity, leaving drivers stranded. The move follows earlier orders to remove three Chinese battery management apps—BAT-BMS, Lossigy, and Epoch-i-ion—after reports and viral videos showed e-rickshaws being remotely switched off.

MeitY Secretary S Krishnan confirmed that two such applications had already been taken down and stated that the government would continue engaging with app platforms to ensure potentially harmful applications are not available for public use. The government has warned that any app facilitating remote interference with battery-operated vehicles will face action.

Battery management system (BMS) apps are designed to monitor parameters like voltage, current, charging status, and temperature. However, in poorly secured battery systems, the same interface can allegedly be used to control power output and remotely stop battery discharge. The risk is higher in low-cost battery packs that allow Bluetooth access without password protection or proper authentication.

This issue has caused distress among e-rickshaw drivers, many of whom operate rented vehicles and depend on daily earnings. Social media videos depicted vehicles being remotely disabled, leaving drivers unable to work for hours. The government said the matter is under close watch and similar applications are being examined. MeitY has also asked app platforms to strengthen due diligence for connected-device applications that could affect public safety.

The latest directive is part of a broader government crackdown on Chinese-linked applications since 2020, which has seen hundreds of apps banned over national security, data protection, and financial fraud concerns. However, officials noted that this case involves a different threat: the potential misuse of connected devices to disrupt vehicles and impact public safety and livelihoods.

Latest in India 10
Karnataka HC: No Post-Facto Conditions for Occupancy Certificates After Building Approval
india

Karnataka HC: No Post-Facto Conditions for Occupancy Certificates After Building Approval

The Karnataka High Court has ruled that city corporations under the Greater Bengaluru Authority cannot impose new conditions for issuing occupancy certificates if those conditions were not part of the original building plan approval. The court directed the corporation to issue the OC without insisting on land relinquishment for road widening, citing the right to property under Article 300A.

The Hindu 17 Aug 2026, 06:02 PM
Read More →
→ View All India News