🏠 News Empire
world

Central African Republic gold mine collapse kills at least 30, dozens trapped

Published on: 18 Aug 2026, 09:07 PM
Central African Republic gold mine collapse kills at least 30, dozens trapped

At least 30 miners have been killed and several others remain trapped after a gold mine collapsed on Tuesday morning in the Abba region of the Nana-Mambere prefecture in western Central African Republic, according to local authorities and survivors.

The collapse occurred at a low-tech, artisanal mining site, a common feature of the country's informal gold extraction economy. Rescuers, including local residents, worked for hours to pull bodies from the rubble. Deputy Mayor Souleymane Bi said injured miners were receiving treatment and confirmed that the death toll had reached 30.

"It is horrible and we are calling for help from organisations and all people of good will to help pull from the hole those who are unable to do so," Mr. Bi said, appealing for outside assistance as local efforts struggle to reach any remaining survivors.

Florian Gaguende, a miner who survived the collapse, told reporters that rescuers were searching for additional miners believed to be trapped underground. He expressed dwindling hope, saying the chance of finding them alive "is getting slimmer".

The Central African Republic is one of the world's poorest countries, with a significant portion of its population dependent on artisanal mining for livelihoods. Gold and diamond extraction are major economic activities, but they are often unregulated and hazardous. Workers typically dig with rudimentary tools, with little or no protective equipment, and safety standards are minimal or unenforced.

Mine collapses are frequently reported across the country. In recent years, dozens of miners have died in similar incidents, yet the practice continues because alternative income opportunities are scarce. Experts note that the lack of formal oversight, combined with the absence of mechanised safety measures, leaves workers vulnerable to fatal accidents.

The government has yet to issue an official statement on this incident. However, local authorities have expressed the need for urgent support, including heavy machinery and trained rescue teams, to aid in the ongoing search operations.

This tragedy highlights the broader challenges facing the Central African Republic, where fragile state institutions and economic hardship often leave communities to cope with disasters on their own. International organisations have previously called for better regulation and safety provisions in the artisanal mining sector, but implementation remains slow and inconsistent.

As the rescue effort continues, families of the victims await news in Abba. The community is mourning a loss that many fear could grow. For now, the focus remains on saving lives, though the prospects of finding more survivors diminish with each passing hour.

Latest in World 10
Israel Orders Criminal Probes Into Gaza Child, Paramedic Deaths
world

Israel Orders Criminal Probes Into Gaza Child, Paramedic Deaths

Israel's military has ordered criminal investigations into the killings of five-year-old Hind Rajab and her family, and 15 Palestinian paramedics in Gaza. No criminal probe will be launched into other incidents that killed aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 01:02 PM
Read More →
Gaza: Israeli Military Launches Criminal Probe into Death of Six-Year-Old Hind Rajab
world

Gaza: Israeli Military Launches Criminal Probe into Death of Six-Year-Old Hind Rajab

The Israeli military has ordered a criminal investigation into the January 2024 killing of six-year-old Hind Rajab in Gaza. The case, which involved the deaths of her family members and two paramedics, drew global condemnation after an audio recording of the child's pleas for help emerged. The IDF cited alleged coordination failures with the Palestine Red Crescent ambulance.

BBC News 19 Aug 2026, 12:18 PM
Read More →
Liberia to host 1,200 US deportees as 'guests' in migration deal
world

Liberia to host 1,200 US deportees as 'guests' in migration deal

Liberia has agreed to accept up to 1,200 foreign nationals deported from the US, calling it a humanitarian gesture. The first group of 20 arrives this week, with officials stressing the deportees are not criminals and will be free to leave or seek asylum. The deal is the latest in a series of third-country arrangements by the Trump administration.

BBC News 19 Aug 2026, 10:47 AM
Read More →
Trump's NATO Summit exit: Three-plane switch amid reported Iranian threat
world

Trump's NATO Summit exit: Three-plane switch amid reported Iranian threat

U.S. President Donald Trump left the NATO Summit in Türkiye using a complex three-aircraft switch after intelligence reported a credible Iranian threat and a man with a shoulder-fired missile. The elaborate security measure involved a Qatar-donated Boeing 747-8, an older VC-25A, and a smaller C-32A, with a stopover in the U.K. to further confuse potential threats.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 06:28 AM
Read More →
→ View All World News