5.9-magnitude quake shakes Tokyo region, five injured, no tsunami
At least five people were injured when a moderate earthquake of magnitude 5.9 shook eastern Japan, including the Tokyo metropolitan area, early on Sunday. The Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) said there was no danger of a tsunami.
The quake struck in the southern part of Ibaraki prefecture at a depth of 70 kilometres, according to the JMA. The United States Geological Survey recorded the preliminary magnitude as 5.8. The region, which lies on the Pacific Ring of Fire, is prone to frequent seismic activity.
The Fire and Disaster Management Agency confirmed injuries in Ibaraki, Chiba and Saitama prefectures, all situated northeast of Tokyo. The agency stated that additional injuries were being assessed and that details were still under investigation.
The tremor disrupted rail services across the affected area. Express trains serving Tokyo and Narita Airport experienced delays, as did local train lines in the northeastern regions. However, East Japan Railway Company reported that Shinkansen bullet trains were operating normally.
Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi announced on X that a government task force had been established to assess the potential damage caused by the earthquake.
The quake triggered emergency alerts on mobile phones and produced significant shaking in Tokyo. Public broadcaster NHK showed footage of traffic moving normally in nearby cities, including Mito and Saitama. In Tokyo's eastern ward of Koto, an underground water pipe ruptured, causing water to gush onto the roadway. TEPCO Power Grid reported that electricity was temporarily cut off to about 460 homes in Tokyo, but power was restored by later Sunday morning.
Japan's sophisticated earthquake early-warning system, which can detect initial shockwaves and send alerts to smartphones and automated infrastructure, was activated during the quake. This system is designed to give residents precious seconds to take cover before the strongest shaking arrives.
The Nuclear Regulation Authority said there were no reports of anomalies from approximately a dozen nuclear power plants and other facilities that handle nuclear materials. This is a crucial reassurance from a country that has experienced significant nuclear incidents in the past.
Last month, a magnitude 7.1 earthquake struck the Kumamoto area on Japan's southernmost island of Kyushu. That powerful temblor killed 38 people and injured 364. It also destroyed more than 1,500 buildings and damaged nearly 20,000 others. Those figures highlight the destructive potential of earthquakes in Japan and underscore the importance of preparedness.
Japan is one of the most seismically active countries in the world, experiencing around 1,500 earthquakes annually. The nation has developed stringent building standards and disaster response coordination to mitigate the impact of such events. Sunday's earthquake, though moderate, was felt widely in the Tokyo region and caused injuries, indicating that even moderate events can have real consequences.
The government task force, announced by the Prime Minister, will coordinate with local authorities to assess the full extent of the damage. There were no immediate reports of large-scale structural collapse or casualties beyond the five known injuries. Authorities continue to gather information, and updates are expected as assessments proceed.