Telangana CM's US visit cancelled after MEA denies permission: CMO
NEW DELHI: The Telangana government on Friday said the Centre has denied permission to Chief Minister A Revanth Reddy for his planned visit to the United States, forcing the cancellation of the official 'Telangana Rising' delegation's US leg.
Reddy, who is currently in London, was scheduled to travel to the US and return to Hyderabad on August 30. The Chief Minister's Office (CMO) said in a statement that the delegation had to cancel the visit after the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) declined permission.
'The official Telangana Rising delegation led by Chief Minister A Revanth Reddy has been forced to cancel their visit to the United States of America (USA) after the Ministry of External Affairs has denied permission,' the CMO release said.
The Telangana Rising initiative is an investment promotion campaign aimed at attracting global capital and partnerships to the state. While the delegation's schedule in the US has not been publicly detailed, such trips are typically meant to showcase investment opportunities and meet potential investors.
The development comes a day after Reddy skipped the 31st Zonal Council meeting chaired by Union Home Minister Amit Shah, which was attended by chief ministers and representatives from southern states and Union territories. No official reason was given for his absence at the time.
The Centre has not yet issued a public statement explaining why permission for the US visit was denied. Questions are likely to be raised in political circles, especially as the Congress-led Telangana government and the BJP-led Central government have had differences over several issues in recent months.
Reacting to the cancellation, a senior Telangana minister, speaking on condition of anonymity, expressed disappointment but declined to speculate on the reasons. 'We respect the decision of the MEA. We will continue our efforts to attract investment to Telangana through other means,' the minister said.
Political analysts note that denial of foreign visits to chief ministers is uncommon but not unprecedented. Such permissions are usually granted routinely, though they can be withheld for various reasons, including security assessments or diplomatic sensitivities.
The CMO statement did not indicate whether Reddy would return directly to Hyderabad from London or alter his travel plans. It also did not specify if a fresh request for the US visit would be made in the future.
This incident is expected to further strain relations between the Telangana government and the Centre. Earlier this year, the state had accused the Union government of delaying funds under various schemes, a charge the Centre denied.
The Telangana Rising campaign was launched with much fanfare in Hyderabad earlier this year, aiming to position the state as a global investment hub. Any disruption to the chief minister's outreach could potentially affect investor confidence, though the state government has assured that alternative plans are in place.
As the story develops, more details are awaited on the MEA's decision and whether the state government will seek a review.