RJD Calls August 19 March on Lok Bhavan Over Siwan Firing and Paper Leaks
The Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) has announced a march to the Lok Bhavan in Patna on August 19, 2026, to protest against what party chief Lalu Prasad described as the “dictatorship of the government that does not listen to the democratic demands of students and has been built on a system of plunder.”
The march, which will begin from the RJD headquarters and proceed via the Income Tax roundabout, is expected to be joined by allies of the Mahagathbandhan. Together, they plan to submit a memorandum to the Governor outlining their demands, RJD leaders said.
In a social media post, Mr. Prasad said students in Bihar were suffering from paper leaks, a deteriorating education system, unfair recruitment practices, unemployment, and a government that “rained bullets” on them. The exact context and authenticity of the post were not independently verified.
The RJD has demanded the suspension of former Siwan Superintendent of Police (SP) Puran Kumar Jha, who held the position during an incident on July 25, 2026, when a police constable was caught on camera allegedly firing an AK-47 rifle at students. On Tuesday, Mr. Jha was asked to report to the State Police headquarters for further orders. Nalanda SP Bharat Soni has been transferred to Siwan in his place, and 18 other police officers linked to the incident have also been transferred.
Party leader Chitranjan Gagan told The Hindu that the march would go ahead as planned. “We have sought the Siwan SP's suspension, not merely transfer,” he said.
According to an affidavit filed by the Bihar Police in the Supreme Court on August 17, the constable, identified as Abhishek Kumar, was caught in a crowd during protests over the NEET-UG paper leak and fired four rounds from his AK-47 rifle into the air. Kumar has been removed from his position.
The July 25 protests were part of broader demonstrations by student organisations in several Bihar districts, including Patna and Siwan, against the NEET-UG paper leaks and police action against students protesting in Delhi on July 20. During the protests, some students pelted stones and bricks at police personnel, leading to detentions that were later followed by releases.
Leader of the Opposition in the Bihar Assembly, Tejashwi Yadav, alleged on August 16 that there had been “a complete collapse of the examination system and law and order in the State.” He said, “There isn’t a single exam or recruitment drive where the paper doesn’t get leaked. Whether it is the Class 10 or Class 12 or recruitment test, the papers leak every time, and a fair selection process has never taken place.”
He also referred to the Siwan incident: “Bihar is the worst performing State when it comes to education. You must have seen the incident in Siwan, where an AK-47 was fired upon students protesting for their rights. We want to know who ordered the firing. With this view, we have decided to hold a march to Lok Bhavan on August 19 to present our grievances to the Governor and demand accountability and justice for the students of Bihar.”
Earlier, on August 7, Mr. Yadav had led a delegation of party leaders to meet the Director General of Police, demanding a high-level inquiry into the firing incident. Posters and hoardings advertising the march have been displayed at prominent locations in the state capital, including at the RJD headquarters.