🏠 News Empire
india

Interpol Issues Red Corner Notice Against Fugitive in Sambhal Violence Case

Published on: 22 Aug 2026, 05:12 AM
Interpol Issues Red Corner Notice Against Fugitive in Sambhal Violence Case

The Interpol has issued a Red Corner Notice against Shariq Sata, a fugitive gangster accused of orchestrating the November 2024 violence in Sambhal, Uttar Pradesh, a senior police officer confirmed on Friday. The notice enables law-enforcement agencies worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest him for extradition.

Sambhal Superintendent of Police Krishna Kumar Bishnoi, who has since been transferred to Bijnor, told reporters that Sata was earlier declared a fugitive offender by a court, and proceedings to attach his properties had been initiated. After completing formalities, the Uttar Pradesh Police approached the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to request an Interpol Red Corner Notice against him.

According to the police, Sata fled to Dubai using a forged passport, and his family members have made frequent visits there. The police maintained close surveillance and submitted a detailed dossier to the CBI, which coordinated with Interpol to secure the notice. Efforts will now be made to arrest and extradite him from wherever he is, so he can face charges in the Sambhal case and 55–60 other criminal cases registered against him, Bishnoi added.

The violence in Sambhal took place on November 24, 2024, when local residents clashed with security forces during a court-ordered survey of the Shahi Jama Masjid. The survey was conducted following a petition claiming that a Harihar temple had previously stood at the site. Four people were killed and dozens were injured in the unrest.

During the investigation, Sata emerged as the prime conspirator, according to Bishnoi. A lookout circular had already been issued, and a notice under Section 84 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) was pasted at his residence after repeated raids failed to trace him.

A Red Corner Notice is an international request by Interpol to its member countries to locate and provisionally arrest a wanted individual pending extradition. It is not an arrest warrant, but it significantly narrows a fugitive's ability to travel or hide internationally.

Police said Sata has been involved in organised criminal activities, including vehicle thefts, across the National Capital Region (NCR) and Uttar Pradesh, while operating from abroad. His criminal record spans several years, and the upcoming legal proceedings will consolidate the cases against him.

The development marks a step forward in the investigation into the Sambhal violence, which had raised questions about communal harmony and legal procedures. The judiciary had ordered the survey based on a civil suit, and the authorities have maintained that the law will take its course. The extradition process, however, may involve complex diplomatic channels, as India does not have an extradition treaty with all countries. Nonetheless, the Red Corner Notice serves as a strong signal that the administration is determined to bring the accused to justice.

Latest in India 10
→ View All India News