Drones strike Iraqi Kurdistan PM's office in Erbil; no casualties reported
Two drones targeted the office of the Kurdistan Regional Government's Prime Minister in northern Iraq on Monday, but no casualties were reported, according to the KRG security agency.
In a statement, the security agency said the attack was launched from Iranian territory, though it did not clarify whether the drones had hit their intended target. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.
Iran and Iran-backed armed groups have repeatedly accused Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region of harbouring Iranian Kurdish opposition groups that Tehran views as a security threat. Kurdish authorities in Iraq have consistently denied allowing their territory to be used to threaten neighbouring countries.
Prime Minister Masrour Barzani condemned the attack in a post on X, describing it as a "dangerous escalation" and a "direct threat" to regional security and stability. He said his personal office and the home of the head of the region's Security and Intelligence Agency had been targeted, citing an investigation by the Kurdistan Counter Terrorism Unit.
The Kurdistan region has faced repeated drone and rocket attacks. In July 2025, a four-day wave of drone attacks on its oilfields halted nearly half of the region's crude production, with security officials pointing to Iran-backed militias as the likely perpetrators. In April 2024, a drone attack on the Khor Mor gas field, one of the largest in the region, killed four Yemeni workers and injured two others, forcing the suspension of gas supplies to regional power plants.
These incidents highlight the persistent security challenges facing the Kurdish region, which has sought to maintain stability amid broader regional tensions. The latest attack underscores the fragility of the situation and the need for continued dialogue to prevent further escalation.