Houthis Claim Missile Attack on Saudi Ships Off Yemen's Mocha; Riyadh Yet to Confirm
Yemen's Houthi forces said on Monday they attacked a Saudi military vessel and four escort ships with missiles in the Red Sea off the port city of Mocha, according to the group's military spokesperson Yahya Saree. The statement was posted on Telegram.
Saudi authorities did not immediately respond to the claim. Reuters could not independently verify the Houthi account of the attack.
Mocha lies near the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, a narrow waterway connecting the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden. The strait is a critical chokepoint for global shipping, particularly for oil and gas tankers travelling from the Gulf region to Europe and Asia.
Last Tuesday, a vessel was attacked in the same strait, according to Yemen's Houthi-run news agency Saba. Yemen's Transport Ministry said four crew members were killed in that incident. Those details could not be independently confirmed at the time.
The Houthis, who control the capital Sanaa and large parts of northern Yemen, imposed a naval blockade in July against Saudi Arabia in the Red Sea. The move was described by the group as a response to what they called a Saudi siege on Yemen. Riyadh has denied imposing any siege.
Earlier on Monday, two sources in Yemen's internationally recognised government told Reuters that the Houthis had fired six missiles at a ship in the Bab el-Mandeb Strait. The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the vessel had been out of service for over a year for maintenance and was believed to have been empty at the time of the attack.
The conflict in Yemen has been ongoing since 2014, when Houthi forces took over Sanaa. A Saudi-led coalition intervened in March 2015 to support the internationally recognised government. The war has killed tens of thousands of people and triggered one of the world's worst humanitarian crises, according to the United Nations.
The Bab el-Mandeb Strait is one of the most vital sea lanes in the world, with roughly 10% of global oil trade passing through it annually. Maritime security experts say any disruption in the area can have significant economic repercussions, including higher shipping costs and delays in energy supplies.
The Houthi statement did not specify the types of missiles used or the extent of damage. It also did not mention any casualties or provide evidence for the attack. Such statements have historically been difficult to verify due to the ongoing conflict.
Over the years, the Houthis have periodically launched missiles and drones at ships in the Red Sea, claiming they were targeting Saudi- or Yemeni government-affiliated vessels. Many of these attacks have been intercepted by naval forces in the region.
As of now, there is no sign of an immediate escalation, but the situation remains tense. Regional powers and international maritime forces have repeatedly called for restraint to ensure the safety of one of the world's most important commercial waterways.