🏠 News Empire
world

Zimbabwe Ferry Tragedy: Death Toll Reaches 68 After More Bodies Recovered

Published on: 17 Aug 2026, 05:44 AM
Zimbabwe Ferry Tragedy: Death Toll Reaches 68 After More Bodies Recovered

Harare, August 15: The death toll from the ferry capsizing on Zimbabwe's Lake Kariba this week has risen to 68, police said on Saturday, after 22 more bodies were recovered from the water.

The passenger ferry, operated by the government's Rural Infrastructure Development Agency (RIDA), overturned on Tuesday in choppy conditions on the lake, which straddles the border with Zambia. The vessel was reportedly overloaded at the time of the accident.

In a short statement, the Zimbabwe Republic Police advised citizens and stakeholders that the death toll in the Kariba RIDA boat accident now stood at 68 following the recovery of additional bodies. No further details were provided, but most passengers were villagers and fish traders living around the lake.

Officials have said the boat was authorised to carry 90 people, but was packed with 114 adults, five crew members, and an unspecified number of children. The Civil Protection Unit said on Wednesday that 77 people had been rescued.

Dozens of mourners gathered for an emotional service on Thursday in the lakeside town of Kariba, about 400 kilometres west of the capital Harare, before the bodies were buried. Survivors recounted how they pleaded with the ferry driver to turn back as the vessel began taking on water soon after departure in rough conditions.

Local residents told AFP that accidents of this kind were rare on the lake. Lake Kariba is the world's largest man-made lake by volume and serves as a vital resource for communities on both the Zimbabwean and Zambian sides.

The tragedy has raised questions about safety regulations and enforcement on inland waterways. Authorities have promised a full investigation into the incident, including the circumstances that allowed the ferry to operate beyond its stated capacity.

Latest in World 10
Lakshmi Mittal's Steel Plant in Ukraine Hit by Russian Missile, Two Dead
world

Lakshmi Mittal's Steel Plant in Ukraine Hit by Russian Missile, Two Dead

A Russian missile strike on ArcelorMittal's steel plant in Kryvyi Rih killed two and wounded 14, causing partial shutdown. The attack followed a massive Ukrainian drone barrage on Russia, which killed at least six. Both sides have escalated long-range strikes, raising civilian casualties to their highest levels since early 2022.

NDTV 17 Aug 2026, 02:43 AM
Read More →
US scales down joint military drills with South Korea after Trump order
world

US scales down joint military drills with South Korea after Trump order

U.S. President Donald Trump has ordered a significant reduction of joint military exercises with South Korea, citing cost and a desire to avoid provoking North Korea. The drills were set to involve 18,000 South Korean troops and are part of ongoing readiness efforts. This move follows similar actions during his previous term.

The Hindu 16 Aug 2026, 10:25 PM
Read More →
→ View All World News