🏠 News Empire
politics

BJP Kalaburagi unit protests against re-induction of Karnataka minister B. Nagendra

Published on: 17 Aug 2026, 01:22 PM
BJP Kalaburagi unit protests against re-induction of Karnataka minister B. Nagendra

Members of the Bharatiya Janata Party's Kalaburagi district unit staged a protest on Monday, demanding the immediate removal of B. Nagendra from the Karnataka Cabinet. The protest comes amid an ongoing investigation into the alleged misappropriation of funds from the Karnataka Maharshi Valmiki Scheduled Tribes Development Corporation.

The BJP workers marched from Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Chowk to the office of the Deputy Commissioner, raising slogans against the Congress-led state government. According to witnesses, protesters also burnt tyres in front of the Deputy Commissioner's office to register their dissent.

Addressing the gathering, former MP Umesh Jadhav, former legislators Dattatreya Patil Revoor and Amarnath Patil said that Mr. Nagendra had resigned as Minister for Scheduled Tribes Welfare in June 2024 following the allegations. He was later arrested by the Enforcement Directorate in a related money-laundering case and subsequently released on bail.

The BJP leaders noted that Mr. Nagendra is named as an accused in the alleged diversion of ₹89.63 crore through forged cheques and RTGS transactions. They questioned the rationale behind his re-induction into the Cabinet while the case is still under investigation, asserting that the Congress government is setting a 'wrong precedent' by allowing a person facing serious allegations to hold a ministerial post.

'This is an attempt to shield the accused and undermine the rule of law,' Jadhav said. The leaders demanded that the investigation proceed without political interference and warned of intensifying their agitation if Mr. Nagendra is not removed from the Cabinet immediately.

The protest was attended by BJP rural district president Ashok Bagali and city unit president Chandu Patil, among other party workers. The demonstrators dispersed after submitting a memorandum to the Deputy Commissioner's office.

As of now, there has been no official response from the state government or Mr. Nagendra regarding the protest. The ruling Congress party has previously defended the re-induction, stating that Mr. Nagendra is innocent until proven guilty and that the legal process will take its course. The Enforcement Directorate's investigation is ongoing.

This protest highlights the political tension in Karnataka over corruption allegations, with both major parties using the issue to mobilise support. The final outcome rests on the judicial process and the state government's response to the demands.

Latest in Politics 10
→ View All Politics News