🏠 News Empire
india

Bhubaneswar Cab Strike Erupts in Violence: 80 Arrested, 13 Police Injured

Published on: 20 Aug 2026, 01:49 AM
Bhubaneswar Cab Strike Erupts in Violence: 80 Arrested, 13 Police Injured

Bhubaneswar: A protest by drivers of app-based ride-hailing services turned violent on Wednesday, with police reporting that demonstrators threw stones at personnel and vandalised vehicles, including police vans and government-run Ama buses.

At least 13 police personnel were injured in the incident, including the inspector in charge of the Capital Police Station, according to Narasingha Bhol, Additional Commissioner of Police (Cuttack-Bhubaneswar). Police have arrested about 80 protesters and seized vehicles parked at the protest site.

The stir began on August 17, when drivers and bike riders associated with online ride-hailing platforms stopped work to press a seven-point charter of demands. These include a hike in fares, reduction in application fees, and provisions for social security and other benefits.

On Wednesday, hundreds of protesters gathered near Raj Mahal Square and blocked Mahatma Gandhi Marg, causing severe traffic disruptions in the Master Canteen Square area and near the railway station. Police said that when they attempted to persuade the protesters to clear the road, the crowd turned violent and began pelting stones at the personnel deployed there.

Protesters also damaged three police vans and several Ama buses, a senior police officer said. The Additional Commissioner said authorities are examining CCTV footage and that strict legal action will be taken against those found involved in the violence.

Bhubaneswar DCP Jagmohan Meena said the protest was "illogical" because the demands were directed at private companies, not the government. He noted that police had earlier permitted a peaceful demonstration at Mahatma Gandhi Marg on August 17, but the agitators continued to block the main thoroughfare, causing inconvenience to the public. "They staged a protest against private companies. The government has no role in this," he added.

The DCP said the situation has returned to normal and vehicular movement has resumed. Adequate police force has been deployed at Lower PMG, and they will remain stationed there on Thursday as well.

The transport authority has initiated the process to cancel the registration certificates of the seized vehicles. Additional Transport Commissioner Sangram Patnaik said, "We are examining the details of the seized vehicles. We will cancel the registration certificate of vehicles that don't have valid documents."

Meanwhile, Transport Minister Bibhuti Bhusan Jena said the government is preparing a rate chart for app-based taxi and bike operators. Housing and Urban Development Minister K C Mahapatra added that the Odisha Yatri app is being improved to help drivers gain maximum benefit from rides.

The strike has left many commuters dependent on app-based services stranded, as a large number of cabs, bikes, and auto-rickshaws remained off the roads. Authorities have urged protesters to resume work and resolve their grievances through dialogue.

Latest in India 10
→ View All India News