Israeli minister draws criticism for suggesting killing dozens nightly in Gaza
Israel's National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir has come under criticism after a podcast interview surfaced in which he called for the killing of 30 to 40 people in Gaza every night. The remarks, reported by Palestinian media on Sunday, have intensified debates over the country's military approach in the enclave.
Speaking to Rom Braslavski, a former hostage held by Hamas, Ben-Gvir discussed Israel's response to the October 7, 2023 attack. He expressed disagreement with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's recent reduction of strikes in Gaza. "It's no secret, I disagree with the prime minister," he said. "I think targeted assassinations should be carried out in Gaza, taking down 30 to 40 every night."
He added, "Not just those who pose an immediate threat - there are people there who are not worthy of life. They shouldn't live. They're not even people." The comments have been widely condemned in the past when made by Ben-Gvir and other Israeli officials. Some of these statements have been presented to the International Court of Justice as evidence of genocidal intent, allegations that Israel rejects.
Israeli media have given limited coverage to the latest remarks, a sign of how once-fringe ideologies have gained traction in the country ahead of elections scheduled for October 27. Ben-Gvir, who has operated within the far-right for decades, is now one of the most influential politicians in Israel. He oversees the national police and the prison service, where thousands of Palestinians from Gaza and the West Bank are held.
He has previously boasted about reducing food rations for Palestinian prisoners. In 2025, Israel's Supreme Court ruled that the prison service under his leadership was depriving Palestinians of a minimum subsistence diet.
Until recently, Israel carried out strikes in Gaza nearly every day. According to Gaza's Health Ministry, more than 1,250 people have been killed since an October truce took effect. The military says it targets Hamas militants. The pace of strikes appeared to ease after Prime Minister Netanyahu resisted a proposal by U.S. President Donald Trump to advance the truce.
In the same interview, Ben-Gvir advocated for the mass emigration of Palestinians from Gaza, a proposal international lawyers say could amount to ethnic cleansing. He also called for Israeli settlements in Gaza, twenty years after Israel withdrew from the territory. "I see all of Gaza as ours," he said. "Settlements not just in Gush Katif but throughout Gaza, encouraging as much emigration as possible, sending them to their countries, and for the terrorists, no emigration, nothing, just to kill them one by one."
Trump's latest plan involves Hamas gradually giving up its weapons while Israeli forces stop attacks and begin withdrawing. Hamas has accepted the deal but tied the surrender of its heaviest weapons to the creation of a Palestinian state, which Israel's government rejects. Netanyahu says Israel will not withdraw until Hamas is completely disarmed, leaving other elements of the ceasefire unresolved.
Ben-Gvir does not have direct command over the military and cannot order strikes. However, his influence over security policy has made his statements significant in shaping public debate both domestically and internationally.