🏠 News Empire
india

South Korea shortens US military drills at Washington's request, raising alliance questions

Published on: 19 Aug 2026, 05:53 AM
South Korea shortens US military drills at Washington's request, raising alliance questions

South Korea's defence ministry has announced that its annual joint military exercises with the United States will be cut short by six days, after a request from the US side. The 2026 Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, originally scheduled to run until 27 August, will now conclude on 21 August.

According to Seoul, the adjustment in the "period and scale" of the drills was made due to a "proposal of the US side." The combined field training exercise component will also be "partially reduced in scale," though specific details of the reduction remain under discussion.

The decision comes after former US President Donald Trump announced plans to curtail exercises with South Korea, citing his "very good" relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Speaking on his Truth Social platform over the weekend, Trump described the drills as "costly" and said they sent a "signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile." Trump also claimed that much of the cost was borne by the United States.

South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun told a parliamentary hearing that neither South Korean nor US officials had been aware in advance of Trump's plans. The announcement has nonetheless raised concerns about the strength of the US-South Korea defence pact, which has served as the foundation of their relationship for decades.

The shortening of the exercises may also send a signal to other US allies in the region, including Japan and Taiwan, about the reliability of American security commitments. Analysts note that such public adjustments to military postures can be interpreted as a shift in priorities.

US officials have also told the Wall Street Journal that Trump is pushing his aides for a meeting with Kim Jong Un. In his recent social media posts, Trump linked his decision on the drills to South Korea's refusal to join a US-led effort related to Iran. He wrote that he had asked the South Korean president whether they would join in the "Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran," and received a negative response.

Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office on Monday, Trump again tied the issue to South Korea's stance on Iran, saying, "We have 39,000 soldiers over there guarding you from Kim Jong Un, your next door neighbour, and you're not going to help us on a very easy military operation in Iran. That's strange."

These comments have drawn attention in Seoul, where the presence of US troops has long been seen as a critical deterrent against North Korean aggression. South Korean officials have sought to reassure the public that the alliance remains strong, but the unprecedented curtailment of exercises has prompted questions about the future of joint defence preparations.

Neither the South Korean nor the US military has provided specific reasons for the US request. The reduction in scale and duration is being reviewed by both sides, and further announcements are expected.

The development comes at a time of heightened regional tensions, with North Korea continuing its missile tests and diplomatic efforts regarding its nuclear programme. The adjustment of military exercises may affect readiness and coordination between the two allied forces, though both governments maintain that their commitment to combined defence remains unchanged.

Observers will watch closely to see how this decision shapes the broader security landscape in Northeast Asia, and whether it influences the stance of other US allies in the region.

Latest in India 10
Karnataka cancels 1,100 MDA alternative site allotments worth ₹2,000 crore
india

Karnataka cancels 1,100 MDA alternative site allotments worth ₹2,000 crore

The Karnataka government has cancelled around 1,100 alternative sites allotted by the Mysuru Development Authority under the 50:50 scheme, following recommendations from a probe committee. The sites are estimated to be worth ₹2,000 crore. Authorities have been directed to cancel sale deeds and khatas where applicable, with action to be taken in two phases.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 04:06 PM
Read More →
→ View All India News