Iran issues stark warning to Gulf states as UAE severs all economic ties
Iran's armed forces chief of staff, Ali Abdollahi, on Wednesday warned Gulf countries that any assistance or facilitation extended to the U.S. military would amount to participation in U.S. military operations. The warning came hours after the United Arab Emirates (UAE) announced it was severing all economic ties with Tehran following fresh missile attacks on shipping in the region.
The UAE's foreign ministry communications director, Afra Al Hameli, said on Tuesday that "all trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran have been halted until further notice." Earlier in the day, Abu Dhabi had accused Iran of firing two ballistic missiles towards the country, and later clarified that the projectiles were aimed at shipping near its coast.
The Gulf region hosts several U.S. military installations, including in the UAE. The conflict began on February 28 with U.S.-Israeli strikes on Iran, prompting Tehran to retaliate with missile and drone attacks across the region. The Strait of Hormuz, a crucial artery for global oil supply, has been blockaded by Iran for months, while the United States has imposed a counter-blockade on Iranian ports.
Despite a recent lull in direct U.S.-Iran hostilities, attacks on commercial vessels have persisted. A proposed U.S.-Iran framework aimed at reopening the vital shipping corridor has collapsed. Diplomatic signals have been contradictory: Trump's envoy and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, said on Monday that talks were "very positive and active," but on Tuesday, President Donald Trump denied any talks were ongoing, insisting the "Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect." In a social media post, he also shared a map depicting the Strait of Hormuz as "NEW U.S. Territory."
Concerned about regional escalation, several West Asian countries have stated they would not allow the U.S. to use their territory as a launchpad for attacks. However, Abdollahi expressed skepticism about such assurances, noting that "it seems unlikely that such a large number of military aircraft, particularly refuelling aircraft, could be present at regional bases without knowledge of host countries." He added that Gulf nations "should know that we are fully aware of the situation."
Media reports have suggested that Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Kuwait, and Bahrain have all carried out strikes on targets in Iran in retaliation for Tehran's attacks on the Gulf, though these governments have largely denied such claims.
The UAE's decision to cut economic ties marks a significant shift for the two neighbours, who share deep cultural and historical bonds. The UAE is home to a sizable Iranian community and was, until the war, a major trade partner for U.S.-sanctioned Iran. The country recalled its ambassador to Tehran early in the conflict and has shut down Iran-linked schools and a hospital. Tankers owned by the UAE state oil company, ADNOC, have repeatedly come under attack in recent weeks.
The Strait of Hormuz is the world's most important oil chokepoint, through which roughly a fifth of global oil consumption passes daily. The Iranian blockade has disrupted energy markets and raised concerns about supply shortages, while the U.S. counter-blockade has further strangled Iran's economy.
U.S. diplomat Marco Rubio spoke with the UAE's national security adviser on Tuesday to discuss "coordination to hold Iran and its terrorist proxies accountable for ongoing attacks," as well as the importance of ensuring free navigation through the Strait of Hormuz.
The standoff shows no signs of abating, with both sides trading warnings and military postures. The revival of diplomacy remains uncertain, as Washington and Tehran continue to exchange accusations and the blockade chokes traffic through one of the world's most strategic waterways.