🏠 News Empire
india

Pune curfew: Congress may move court if Rahul Gandhi's student event blocked

Published on: 19 Aug 2026, 09:51 AM
Pune curfew: Congress may move court if Rahul Gandhi's student event blocked

The Congress party has stated that it will approach a court to secure permission for its 'Chhatron ki Goonj' programme in Pune if the district administration's curfew prevents the event from being held. The student convention is scheduled for August 22, while the administration has prohibited gatherings of more than four persons from August 18 to 31.

According to party sources, the Congress has already obtained a city college as the venue for the programme. The party submitted applications for permission to the police and the municipal corporation on Monday, coinciding with the disclosure of the curfew order.

The district administration's order is reported to be a preventive step, issued with an eye on possible protests and upcoming festivals. However, Congress leaders view the timing as significant, suspecting that the curfew is intended to obstruct the student event specifically.

The 'Chhatron ki Goonj' series is an outreach initiative by Rahul Gandhi, the Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha, aimed at engaging with students and young voters. The programme gained momentum after the NEET paper leak protests at Jantar Mantar, with Gandhi seeking to connect with student grievances. The Pune edition is distinct as it is designated exclusively for female students, an announcement made by Gandhi on Sunday.

The series, launched earlier this year, seeks to bring student issues to the centre of public discourse. Gandhi has held similar conventions in other cities, and each event has drawn considerable attention. Organisers have indicated that the Pune programme will focus on education, employment, and concerns specific to young women.

A party functionary cited a pattern of obstruction in previous attempts to organise the conventions. "The Dehradun administration rescinded permission for the main Parade Ground on July 17, and the venue had to be shifted. The same problem was faced in Allahabad on August 8. The Rajasthan government also tried to block the first programme in Kota on June 17. Now, it is Pune. The curfew is clearly aimed at our programme," the functionary said. These allegations could not be independently verified.

Congress sources said that if Pune denies permission, the party will move court and seek a direction to the district administration. Legal action is seen as a necessary step to guarantee the right to peaceful assembly, a fundamental right under the Constitution, though subject to reasonable restrictions.

The Constitution guarantees the right to assemble peacefully without arms, and courts have often upheld the right to hold public meetings, subject to reasonable restrictions imposed by the state for public order. A court review of the curfew order could examine whether the singular focus on banning large gatherings aligns with the exigencies of the situation.

Congress strategists believe that the programme's focused appeal to the youth has unsettled the Bharatiya Janata Party, which is in power in Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, and Maharashtra. The party suspects that the state governments are attempting to undermine the events, though no official response from the administration has been reported so far.

As the August 22 date approaches, the matter may be resolved through administrative dialogue or judicial intervention. The administration has not issued a statement on the Congress's allegations, and its curfew order remains in force. The court route could provide clarity on whether the restriction is a genuine public safety measure or, as the Congress argues, a targeted move.

Latest in India 10
Karnataka cancels 1,100 MDA alternative site allotments worth ₹2,000 crore
india

Karnataka cancels 1,100 MDA alternative site allotments worth ₹2,000 crore

The Karnataka government has cancelled around 1,100 alternative sites allotted by the Mysuru Development Authority under the 50:50 scheme, following recommendations from a probe committee. The sites are estimated to be worth ₹2,000 crore. Authorities have been directed to cancel sale deeds and khatas where applicable, with action to be taken in two phases.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 04:06 PM
Read More →
→ View All India News