🏠 News Empire
india

Pune boy's death after bike skids on damaged road sparks political row over potholes

Published on: 18 Aug 2026, 02:01 PM
Pune boy's death after bike skids on damaged road sparks political row over potholes

The death of an 11-year-old boy in Pune, who fell off a motorcycle and was run over by a truck on a damaged road, has triggered public anger and political recriminations. The incident occurred on Monday evening on the Nande-Mhalunge Road in Hinjewadi, a stretch heavily used by commuters travelling to the IT hub.

The boy was riding pillion with his father and sister when the two-wheeler skidded on a pothole-ridden portion of the road. He fell towards a passing truck and came under its rear wheels. He was rushed to a hospital but was declared dead on arrival, police said.

Local legislator Shankar Mandekar of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) drew sharp criticism for his comments on the incident. He said he did not believe the administration was at fault, attributing the accident to bad and muddy road conditions. In a statement, Mandekar said: “I did not see the accident with my own eyes. But from what I heard, the vehicle slipped and the child fell. The road was bad and muddy, which is why the accident occurred, I personally believe. I don’t see any failure on the part of the administration in this.”

He also expressed sympathy for the truck driver, noting that such cases often result in charges against heavy vehicle operators regardless of fault. His remarks were met with resentment from residents, who pointed out that the road had been in poor condition for months and that complaints had been ignored.

CCTV footage of the accident is being examined by police. Initial findings show the motorcycle was attempting to overtake the truck from the left when it skidded, causing the boy to fall towards the vehicle. The police have registered a case against the truck driver, a standard practice in such incidents, and are conducting a thorough investigation.

The road in question has been a long-standing concern for locals, with reports of potholes, loose soil and gravel. On the night of the accident, a crowd gathered at the spot, questioning why traffic was still being allowed on a road that was under repair and had dangerous stretches. Police said they had previously informed the municipal corporation about the road's condition.

The tragedy has quickly become a political issue. Congress leader Vijay Wadettiwar accused the state government of neglecting civic infrastructure and demanded accountability. In a post on social media, he asked: “Do citizens’ lives have any value? How many more innocent lives will have to be lost?” He called for the role of corporators, officials and contractors in road maintenance to be scrutinised.

The Maharashtra government has responded by asserting its seriousness about fixing potholes across the state. Transport Minister Pratap Sarnaik said Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde had ordered all municipal corporations and district collectors to repair potholes before the Ganesh festival. “The government has taken cognisance of the inconvenience caused by potholes. Instructions have been given to fill them at the earliest,” Sarnaik said.

NCP leader and Maharashtra minister Chhagan Bhujbal also weighed in, saying potholes were contributing to accidents and that responsibility should lie with municipal bodies. “I believe that while work is underway, efforts should be made to ensure that potholes do not appear on roads,” he said.

The incident has once again highlighted the state’s struggle with road maintenance, particularly in urban areas where infrastructure has not kept pace with rapid development. While the government has promised action, residents and opposition leaders argue that without fixing accountability, such tragedies will keep repeating.

Latest in India 10
Karnataka cancels 1,100 MDA alternative site allotments worth ₹2,000 crore
india

Karnataka cancels 1,100 MDA alternative site allotments worth ₹2,000 crore

The Karnataka government has cancelled around 1,100 alternative sites allotted by the Mysuru Development Authority under the 50:50 scheme, following recommendations from a probe committee. The sites are estimated to be worth ₹2,000 crore. Authorities have been directed to cancel sale deeds and khatas where applicable, with action to be taken in two phases.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 04:06 PM
Read More →
→ View All India News