🏠 News Empire
india

Lokayukta raids 11 Bengaluru sites, finds assets worth ₹18.3 crore from land officer

Published on: 19 Aug 2026, 03:15 PM
Lokayukta raids 11 Bengaluru sites, finds assets worth ₹18.3 crore from land officer

The Karnataka Lokayukta Police on Wednesday conducted simultaneous searches at more than 11 locations in Bengaluru in connection with a disproportionate assets case registered against a government officer. The searches were carried out at the residences and office of Mallikarjuna B., Special Land Acquisition Officer, Subramanya Nagar, Guddadahalli, Hebbal, as well as at the residences of his relatives.

According to the Lokayukta, the searches revealed immovable and movable assets worth ₹18.3 crore. The officer is stated to own two houses and 100 acres and five guntas of agricultural land, with the total value of the immovable properties estimated at ₹14.2 crore. The searches also led to the detection of movable assets valued at ₹4.45 crore. These include ₹2.5 crore in cash, gold and silver ornaments worth ₹3.1 lakh, vehicles valued at ₹15 lakh, bank balances of ₹1 crore, and household articles worth ₹33.4 lakh.

The Lokayukta Police said the disproportionate assets case had been registered at the Lokayukta Police Station following complaints regarding the alleged accumulation of assets disproportionate to the officer’s known sources of income. The officer is a public servant under the Karnataka Lokayukta Act, 1984, which empowers the anti-corruption body to investigate allegations of corruption and abuse of office against state government officials.

Disproportionate assets cases are filed under the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988, which holds that a public servant cannot possess assets beyond their lawful means. The law sets a threshold: if the value of assets is significantly higher than known sources of income and the accused cannot satisfactorily account for the difference, it constitutes a criminal offence. In assessing disproportionate assets, authorities take into account the public servant's income from all lawful sources, as well as assets held in the names of family members and close associates. This is why the search operation covered residences of relatives of the officer.

The Special Land Acquisition Officer's role involves assessing land values and disbursing compensation to landowners whose properties are acquired for public infrastructure projects. Such officers handle large sums of money, and the position is considered vulnerable to malpractice. The Karnataka Lokayukta, established under the Karnataka Lokayukta Act, 1984, is an independent statutory authority empowered to inquire into allegations of corruption against public servants, including ministers, legislators, and government officers.

The simultaneous searches across multiple locations were conducted under proper legal procedure. The Lokayukta police prepared inventories of all seized items in the presence of independent witnesses. This is intended to ensure transparency and the admissibility of evidence in court. The authorities have also said that further verification and assessment of the seized and identified assets will determine the exact extent of the alleged disproportionate assets.

The accused officer has not been formally charged in court, and the investigation is ongoing. The Lokayukta has not released further details about the case or the officer's response. This operation is part of the Lokayukta's broader efforts to check corruption in land acquisition and other government departments. Under the law, the officer will have an opportunity to explain the source of the assets before any final determination is made.

Latest in India 10
Karnataka cancels 1,100 MDA alternative site allotments worth ₹2,000 crore
india

Karnataka cancels 1,100 MDA alternative site allotments worth ₹2,000 crore

The Karnataka government has cancelled around 1,100 alternative sites allotted by the Mysuru Development Authority under the 50:50 scheme, following recommendations from a probe committee. The sites are estimated to be worth ₹2,000 crore. Authorities have been directed to cancel sale deeds and khatas where applicable, with action to be taken in two phases.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 04:06 PM
Read More →
→ View All India News