🏠 News Empire
politics

Jharkhand Student Leader Mahato Ends Hunger Strike After Govt Cancels Exams

Published on: 17 Aug 2026, 07:47 PM
Jharkhand Student Leader Mahato Ends Hunger Strike After Govt Cancels Exams

Ranchi: Jharkhand student leader Devendra Nath Mahato on Tuesday evening called off his hunger strike, hours after the Hemant Soren government cancelled all examinations and recruitments for government jobs conducted in the state. The decision followed weeks of student protests over alleged paper leaks and irregularities in recruitment processes.

Mahato, who is admitted to Ranchi's Sadar Hospital, ended his fast after meeting ministers and legislators who visited him. He thanked the government for its decision and expressed confidence that the ongoing investigation would target those responsible for examination irregularities. “They are making a concerted effort to reach the true kingpins behind these gangs,” he said, as quoted by news agency ANI.

The student leader stressed the need for a system that would prevent future paper leaks and malpractices. “In my life, I have seen many instances where CBI or CID investigations were ordered and then cancelled. We need a system where the government guarantees that paper leaks and irregularities will never happen again. We will cooperate with the government in this endeavour,” he added.

The state government's decision, announced by Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Monday evening, applies to all exams and recruitments made for government jobs, including the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level (JSSC CGL) examinations. Soren also ordered a CID probe into all exams conducted in the state since 2014.

Despite the government's move, a section of the protesting students has refused to call off their demonstrations, insisting on an investigation by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). Mahato, however, indicated that the student community would support the ongoing reform process. “The students will continue to support efforts to remove corruption from the examination system and will cooperate with the government in the ongoing reform process,” he said.

The protests began earlier this year after allegations of question paper leaks and irregularities in the recruitment examinations for various government positions. The government's decision to cancel the exams and order a comprehensive investigation is seen as a significant concession to the demonstrators. The CID has been tasked with examining all examinations conducted since 2014, which could potentially affect thousands of candidates.

Mahato's decision to end his hunger strike came after a delegation of ministers and MLAs visited him at the hospital. His condition was reported to be stable. The development brings some respite to the state administration, though the demand for a CBI probe remains a sticking point between the students and the government.

As the situation evolves, the focus will be on the investigation's outcome and whether it meets the expectations of the students, who have been demanding immediate action against those responsible for compromising the integrity of the recruitment process.

Latest in Politics 10
→ View All Politics News