🏠 News Empire
india

Four skeletons, nine skulls found in Vizag sand dump traced to burial ground

Published on: 18 Aug 2026, 06:13 PM
Four skeletons, nine skulls found in Vizag sand dump traced to burial ground

Four skeletons and nine skulls were found in heaps of sand dumped near Sheela Nagar Junction in Visakhapatnam on Tuesday, triggering a scare in the locality and a detailed police investigation. The remains were discovered by workers engaged in the construction of the Sheela Nagar–Sabbavaram road, who immediately alerted the authorities.

The sand heaps had been deposited at an open site near the junction, which is known to be used for dumping construction debris and waste. On receiving the information, personnel from the Gajuwaka police station rushed to the spot and cordoned off the area. They were later joined by senior officers, including the Deputy Commissioner of Police (Crime), who supervised the initial examination.

Acting on the directions of Commissioner of Police Shankabratha Bagchi, the police formed four teams to conduct a thorough investigation. These teams were tasked with scrutinising CCTV footage from cameras installed in the vicinity and tracing the vehicles that had transported the sand. The police also contacted the Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation (GVMC) to gather information about excavation and restoration activities in the city.

The preliminary investigation revealed that the remains were likely brought along with sand excavated from a burial ground at Burma Colony in Kancharapalem. The GVMC periodically undertakes restoration and related works at this burial ground, typically once every ten years. During such works, old sand and other material are removed to create space for fresh burials. The excavated material is usually transported in trucks and dumped at designated locations. The burial ground has been operational for many years, and such restoration work is a routine process.

Inspector Vasu Naidu of the Gajuwaka police station said that five vehicles were used to transport the excavated sand from the burial ground. “One of the vehicles dumped the sand at the Sheela Nagar site. We verified the CCTV footage and also personally inspected the burial ground at Burma Colony,” he told reporters. Mr. Naidu added that the driver of that particular vehicle may not have realised that the sand contained human remains.

The discovery has caused concern among residents of Sheela Nagar and surrounding areas. Many people gathered at the spot, and parents were seen taking precautions to keep children away. Some residents expressed concern that the incident highlights the lack of supervision at such open sites. The police, however, appealed to the public not to panic, stating that the incident appears to be an inadvertent outcome of excavation work rather than a criminal act. They also urged residents not to spread unverified information on social media.

The police have registered a case in connection with the incident. The skeletal remains have been taken into custody for further examination. While officials have not officially confirmed the next steps, sources indicated that the remains may be sent for forensic analysis to determine their age, sex, and whether they belong to recent or older burials. The police are also examining the records of the five vehicles that transported the sand to ascertain who was responsible for dumping it at the Sheela Nagar site.

This is not the first time that the open site near Sheela Nagar Junction has been used for illegal dumping. According to local residents, construction debris and waste have been routinely dumped here, and the lack of adequate fencing has made it an easy target. The police have assured that action will be taken against those found responsible for any violation of norms.

The investigation is ongoing, and the police are coordinating with the GVMC to obtain documents related to the restoration work and the vehicles involved. The police have also urged the public to cooperate with the investigation and provide any information that might help. Further details are expected to emerge as the probe progresses.

Latest in India 10
Karnataka cancels 1,100 MDA alternative site allotments worth ₹2,000 crore
india

Karnataka cancels 1,100 MDA alternative site allotments worth ₹2,000 crore

The Karnataka government has cancelled around 1,100 alternative sites allotted by the Mysuru Development Authority under the 50:50 scheme, following recommendations from a probe committee. The sites are estimated to be worth ₹2,000 crore. Authorities have been directed to cancel sale deeds and khatas where applicable, with action to be taken in two phases.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 04:06 PM
Read More →
→ View All India News