🏠 News Empire
india

CID Raids JSSC Office Amid Protests Over Jharkhand Recruitment Exam Irregularities

Published on: 17 Aug 2026, 09:22 AM
CID Raids JSSC Office Amid Protests Over Jharkhand Recruitment Exam Irregularities

Ranchi, August 17: The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) on Monday began conducting raids at the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC) office here in connection with its probe into irregularities in recruitment examinations, an official said.

The development comes amid continuing protests by job aspirants, who have been demanding a thorough investigation into alleged malpractices in multiple recruitment exams conducted by the JSSC. The protests have now entered their 24th day.

Confirming the raids, CID Additional Director General of Police Manoj Kaushik told PTI, “We are conducting raids at the JSSC office in connection with alleged irregularities in various examinations.”

The state probe agency has so far arrested 20 people in connection with recruitment exam irregularities, including former Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) Chairman L Khiangte. The arrests mark a significant step in the ongoing investigation, which has been closely monitored by the state government and the judiciary.

The irregularities first came to light when candidates reported discrepancies in the examination process, including question paper leaks and irregularities in the evaluation of answer sheets. The protests, which began in late July, have seen thousands of aspirants gather in different parts of the state, demanding a fair and transparent recruitment process.

The JSSC is responsible for conducting recruitment exams for various state government departments, including posts in the police, revenue, and administrative services. A large number of youths from Jharkhand depend on these exams for government employment, making the issue highly sensitive.

The CID’s raids are expected to gather crucial evidence, including documents and digital records related to the examinations. Sources said the agency is examining records from the past several years to identify all instances of irregularities.

The state government has assured the protesters that action will be taken against all those found guilty. In a recent statement, Chief Minister Hemant Soren said the government is committed to ensuring a transparent recruitment process and has extended full support to the investigating agencies.

The opposition parties have also raised the issue in the state assembly, demanding a high-level inquiry into the matter. They have accused the government of failing to prevent the irregularities and have called for the resignation of officials responsible for the examination process.

The raids are still underway, and the CID is expected to issue further statements as the investigation progresses. Legal experts say that if the evidence collected leads to chargesheets, it could take months before the cases are resolved, given the scale of the alleged irregularities.

Meanwhile, job aspirants have expressed cautious optimism about the CID action. Many of them have been camping at protest sites in Ranchi and other districts, and they have indicated that they will continue their agitation until a full and fair investigation is completed.

The Jharkhand High Court has also taken cognizance of the matter and has been hearing petitions related to the recruitment exam irregularities. The court has directed the CID to submit a detailed progress report at the next hearing.

As the investigation widens, officials say that more arrests cannot be ruled out. The CID has formed multiple teams to probe different aspects of the case, including the role of examination centres, invigilators, and middlemen allegedly involved in facilitating cheating.

The case highlights the larger issue of recruitment transparency in India, where government job aspirants often face hurdles due to systemic corruption and procedural lapses. For now, all eyes are on the CID’s findings, as the state looks to restore faith in its recruitment process.

Latest in India 10
UP Judge Sentences 22 to Death in 10 Cases Within Four Months
india

UP Judge Sentences 22 to Death in 10 Cases Within Four Months

Additional District and Sessions Judge Ravi Kumar Diwakar of Muzaffarnagar has sentenced 22 people to death in 10 cases over four months, including murders ranging from 1999 to 2014. The verdicts, delivered between May and August, have drawn attention, though all are pending appeal before higher courts.

NDTV 17 Aug 2026, 08:55 AM
Read More →
→ View All India News