🏠 News Empire
politics

Cancel all illegal MDA site allotments since 2019, S.R. Mahesh tells Yathindra

Published on: 20 Aug 2026, 02:24 PM
Cancel all illegal MDA site allotments since 2019, S.R. Mahesh tells Yathindra

JD(S) leader and former minister S.R. Mahesh on Thursday welcomed the Karnataka government's decision to cancel allotment of around 1,100 sites by the Mysuru Development Authority (MDA) under the controversial 50:50 ratio scheme, and urged Urban Development Minister Yathindra Siddaramaiah to cancel all illegal allotments made under the scheme since 2019.

Speaking at a press conference in Mysuru, Mahesh said the MDA, formerly known as Mysuru Urban Development Authority (MUDA), had been allotting sites under the scheme since 2019. He claimed that allotment of more than 2,200 sites had been approved by the authority during this period, and alleged that the value of these allotments was estimated to be around ₹4,000 to ₹5,000 crore.

Mahesh made it clear that he was not opposed to the allotment of incentive sites to genuine land-losers. However, he alleged that sites had been allotted in the names of certain land-losers, some of whom had already accepted compensation, through middlemen.

Referring to the 14 sites allotted to Parvathi, wife of former chief minister Siddaramaiah, under the scheme in 2021, Mahesh noted that these had already been surrendered to the authority following a controversy. He told Yathindra that there was speculation in some circles that the government had not cancelled allotments made between 2019 and 2023 because of the sites allotted to his mother.

Mahesh, however, clarified that he was not making such an allegation against Yathindra. "I am not saying this. I have faith in you," he said, while urging the minister to cancel all sites allotted under the scheme, except those given under court directions and in accordance with proper government procedures.

"How can there be two sets of laws — one for sites allotted after 2023 and another for those allotted prior to 2023?" he questioned.

It may be noted that Yathindra has earlier stated that the government, which has cancelled allotments under the scheme after March 14, 2023, will also examine allotments made prior to that date to ascertain whether any rules were violated.

Mahesh also said police authorities need to remain alert in view of a possible law and order problem following the cancellation of allotments. He said people to whom sites had been sold would invariably go and demand their money back.

While reiterating that he would not oppose allotment of incentive sites to genuine land-losers, Mahesh urged the government to identify illegal allotments and cancel them within the next 15 days.

Latest in Politics 10
ECI's electoral roll revision follows due legal process, says Union Minister in Rajya Sabha
politics

ECI's electoral roll revision follows due legal process, says Union Minister in Rajya Sabha

Union Minister Arjun Ram Meghwal informed the Rajya Sabha that the Election Commission's Special Intensive Revision of electoral rolls is conducted with due diligence and without prejudice to any community. He detailed the quality checks and grievance redressal mechanisms in response to concerns raised by a UN Special Rapporteur over deletions in West Bengal.

The Hindu 20 Aug 2026, 02:19 PM
Read More →
→ View All Politics News