🏠 News Empire
politics

Ahead of Ladakh talks, administration withdraws cases against 25 protestors

Published on: 22 Aug 2026, 01:44 AM
Ahead of Ladakh talks, administration withdraws cases against 25 protestors

The Ladakh administration has begun addressing the demands of civil society groups by withdrawing cases against a section of protestors, in what is seen as an outreach by the Centre ahead of the formal round of talks with the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) in September.

In a statement issued on Thursday (August 20, 2026), Ladakh Chief Secretary Ashish Kundra said cases against 25 individuals found to have had limited or no involvement in last year's violence would be withdrawn, with closure proceedings undertaken in accordance with law. Charge sheets have been filed against nine persons in cases where evidence was available, and the matter will remain subject to proceedings before the competent courts.

Mr. Kundra said that 87 people were booked in connection with the September 24, 2025 violence in Leh. "The administration has identified cases where there is no major evidence. The FIR withdrawal and closure process will be taken up in court," he said.

The decision comes as Ladakh's key civil society groups, including the Leh Apex Body (LAB) and Kargil Democratic Alliance (KDA), submitted a list of "non-negotiable" demands to the administration earlier this week. These include the withdrawal of pending cases against locals who were arrested after the violence, as well as compensation for the families of those killed and injured in the security forces' action.

Four civilians were killed and around 90 people, including security personnel, were injured in the violence, which occurred as locals were agitating for Statehood and the Sixth Schedule for Ladakh.

The LAB, which is observing September this year as 'Martyrs' Month', had threatened to revive agitation if the cases were not withdrawn. According to the LAB, "unarmed and innocent people were killed by opening fire from AK 47 without magisterial order in September last year."

The withdrawal of cases is seen as a major outreach by the Centre ahead of the scheduled talks between the civil society groups and the MHA over legislature and Article 371-like special provisions for the region. Official sources said Ladakh Lieutenant Governor Vinai Kumar Saxena met Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi on August 20 to discuss the "developments in Ladakh".

Members of LAB, KDA and the former Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC) leadership recently held an informal meeting with MHA representatives in Leh. Mr. Kundra said the administration was making efforts to schedule a formal meeting of the Ladakh Sub-Committee with the MHA in New Delhi by or before the second week of September "to discuss the demands and expectations placed before the Union Government and the broader framework being examined for Ladakh".

The demand for Statehood has been a long-standing issue in Ladakh, which was made a Union Territory in 2019. Civil society groups have argued that Statehood is necessary for the region's development, while the Sixth Schedule would provide autonomous councils with legislative powers. Article 371-like provisions would offer special safeguards for land, culture, and employment for locals.

The upcoming talks are expected to be a crucial step in addressing these demands. The administration's decision to withdraw cases is being viewed as a confidence-building measure aimed at creating a conducive atmosphere for dialogue. However, the groups have maintained that the talks must lead to concrete outcomes.

Latest in Politics 10
PM Modi at ET Forum: Reform Express Full Speed, Country-Specific Policies
politics

PM Modi at ET Forum: Reform Express Full Speed, Country-Specific Policies

Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the ET World Leaders Forum, asserting that India's reform process is advancing rapidly. He emphasised that economic policies should be tailored to the country's needs, citing the Production Linked Incentive scheme as a key example. The PM's remarks underscore the government's commitment to context-specific reform.

Times of India 21 Aug 2026, 07:38 PM
Read More →
→ View All Politics News