NRC before census: Biren Singh takes Manipur's demand to Amit Shah
Former Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh on Tuesday said he met Union Home Minister Amit Shah in New Delhi and apprised him of the demand by the people of Manipur for the implementation of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) before any census activity in the State.
Mr. Singh, who returned to Imphal on Tuesday morning after a two-day visit to the national capital, said he raised several issues during his meeting with Mr. Shah on Monday (August 17). These included the economic blockades and counter-blockades that have disrupted the supply of essential commodities and led to a spike in prices.
"I went to Delhi to meet Home Minister Amit Shah and met him yesterday after getting an appointment. I apprised him of the issues related to economic blockades and counter-blockades, which shot up prices of essential commodities and affected supplies of commodities. Mr. Shah assured me of addressing the issues soon," Mr. Singh told reporters.
Mr. Singh said he also informed the Home Minister about the people's appeal for the conduct of the NRC, which was taken up by his government in February 2023, before the ethnic strife broke out in the State. The Ministry of Home Affairs and the Registrar General had then informed that the demand sent by the then government was being considered, he said.
"The people are not against the conduct of the census but are demanding the NRC first and then the conduct of the census," Mr. Singh said, underlining the order in which the two exercises should be carried out.
The former Chief Minister said the demand stems from widespread apprehension that the presence of illegal immigrants has affected the demographic balance of the State. He also pointed to government records that show 926 unrecognised villages and said there is a request for their recognition so that their residents are not excluded from the enumeration process.
Mr. Singh said Mr. Shah gave a patient hearing to the concerns raised. "I genuinely believe and feel that there will be a positive response to the demands raised by the people," he said, expressing confidence that the Centre would address the issues.
He also appealed to the people not to resort to bandhs and violence out of frustration, urging them to maintain peace while continuing to press their demands.
The meeting comes against the backdrop of continuing ethnic violence in Manipur, where more than 260 people have been killed and thousands rendered homeless in clashes between Meitei and Kuki-Zo groups since May 2023. The conflict has displaced many families, with a significant number still living in relief camps.
Over the weekend, students demanding the implementation of the NRC before the census staged a demonstration outside the Directorate of Census Operations in Imphal. Police fired tear gas shells to disperse the protesters. Earlier on Sunday evening, hundreds of people in Imphal East and Imphal West districts held a torch rally with the same demand.
The NRC, a register of Indian citizens, is viewed by the protesters as a critical tool to identify illegal immigrants who, they argue, have altered the demographic composition of Manipur. The demand has gained renewed momentum in recent weeks, with the census exercise yet to be conducted in the State.
The previous government's recommendation in February 2023 for the NRC was one of the last major administrative decisions before the ethnic violence erupted. The Ministry of Home Affairs had said at the time that the request was under consideration. No final decision has been announced so far.
The issue of economic blockades has also been a recurring problem in Manipur, often affecting the supply of essentials to the valley areas. Mr. Singh's appeal for peace comes amid concerns that prolonged unrest could further disrupt normal life in the State.