Jharkhand cancels JSSC-CGL exam; Mahto ends 16-day hunger strike after panel formed
The Jharkhand government late on Monday cancelled all recruitment examinations conducted by an outsourced agency since 2014, including the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) exam, in response to prolonged student protests over alleged irregularities. Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the decision, 24 days after students began demonstrations, and said a committee under senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal would be formed to suggest reforms in the conduct of examinations in the State.
The announcement brought temporary relief to protesting students, but the JPSC-JSSC Reform Manch, which has been leading the agitation, said the demonstrations would continue until the government agrees to a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the alleged examination irregularities. Ravindra Paswan, a leader of the Manch, said the cancellation alone was not enough, as the key demand for a CBI inquiry had not been met.
Student leader Devendra Mahto, who had been on hunger strike for 16 days over the alleged irregularities, broke his fast around midnight on Monday, while five other protesters continued theirs, according to Mr. Paswan. Activist Sonam Wangchuk congratulated Mr. Mahto on a video call, describing the government's decision as a 'victory for everyone'.
The protests began after candidates alleged that recruitment examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission were marred by question paper leaks, favouritism, and other irregularities. The exams, outsourced to a private agency since 2014, have been under scrutiny for years, with multiple cases of malpractices reported. The cancellation of all such exams marks a significant step by the Soren-led government, which has been under pressure from student groups and opposition parties to address the issue.
The committee led by Mr. Kaushal, a senior bureaucrat, is expected to recommend a transparent and secure examination process. The government has also said it will take strict action against those found responsible for the irregularities. However, the Manch has expressed skepticism, arguing that only a CBI investigation can ensure impartiality and accountability.
The development comes amid a broader debate on examination reforms in India, where several states have faced similar issues. The Jharkhand government's decision could set a precedent for how other States handle allegations of malpractice in recruitment exams, but the continuation of the protest indicates that the resolution is not yet complete.
Meanwhile, the five other students continuing their hunger strike have demanded immediate action on the CBI probe. Their condition is being monitored, and authorities have urged them to end the fast in the interest of their health. The protest, which has seen thousands of students participate, is expected to remain peaceful as negotiations continue.
The cancellation of the exams has also raised questions about the future of candidates who had appeared for the tests. The government has assured that a fresh examination schedule will be announced after the committee submits its recommendations. Until then, the uncertainty remains for lakhs of aspirants who have been waiting for recruitment in various government departments.