Delhi: Three Policemen Hurt in Chilli Powder, Brick Attack; Minor Detained
Three Delhi Police personnel were injured on Saturday after a group allegedly attacked them with chilli powder, bricks and sticks in the Janta Vihar area of Mukundpur, officials said on Sunday. The assault took place around 3:30 p.m., shortly after Head Constables Dinesh and Rajesh of Bhalswa Dairy police station had returned to their beat. They had earlier taken a motorcycle without valid documents to the police station under the Delhi Police Act, an enforcement measure that may have triggered the attack.
Head Constable Tinu, who rushed to assist his colleagues, was also assaulted. Constable Dinesh sustained a head injury in the attack. Police said all three personnel are stable and receiving medical treatment.
A 17-year-old juvenile was apprehended at the spot with the help of local residents, while the other assailants managed to flee. Police have registered a case under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita. The juvenile was later handed over to his guardians, as per legal procedure, officials said.
Police identified the main accused as Sunil alias Pankaj, who allegedly has five criminal cases registered against him, including two under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act. It is not yet clear whether Sunil was among those who escaped. Investigating officers are conducting raids to trace the remaining suspects.
The attack has raised concerns about the safety of police personnel on duty. In recent years, there have been multiple instances where law enforcement officers have been targeted during routine patrols and enforcement actions. Officials emphasised that the police are taking the matter seriously and will ensure strict action against those found guilty.
The Delhi Police Act grants officers the authority to impound vehicles without valid documents. Such actions often lead to confrontations, police said, adding that they remain committed to law enforcement despite the risks.
Residents of the area said the incident created panic, but no civilian injuries were reported. Police have appealed to the public to assist in maintaining law and order and to refrain from obstructing officials in the discharge of their duties.
Further investigation is underway. The police are examining CCTV footage from nearby locations to identify the remaining accused and ascertain the sequence of events. Additional security has been deployed in the area to prevent any further escalation.