Woman Killed by Aston Martin in Hyderabad; MP's Son Charged
A 26-year-old woman died after being struck by an Aston Martin in Hyderabad on Sunday, and the driver, the son of a Rajya Sabha member, has been charged in connection with the incident.
The victim, identified as Bharathi Mukhi, worked at the Lifestyle clothing store at Inorbit Mall. Police said she was crossing the road near her workplace in the Madhapur area when the car hit her. She was taken to Apollo Hospital in Jubilee Hills in the same car, where she was declared dead.
The Cyberabad police have identified the driver as Lingamaneni Sanjush, 21, son of Lingamaneni Ramesh, a Rajya Sabha MP from Andhra Pradesh's Jana Sena Party. He has been charged under Section 106(1) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), which deals with causing death by a rash or negligent act not amounting to culpable homicide. He has not been arrested as the offence is bailable and carries a maximum penalty of less than seven years, according to Madhapur Assistant Commissioner of Police Ch Sridhar.
According to the First Information Report (FIR), the incident occurred around 3 pm on August 16. Bharathi and her colleague Pooja Ashok Alone, 26, had gone to the nearby ITC Kohenur area to get lunch. As they were returning to their workplace, Bharathi attempted to cross the road in front of the mall when she was hit by the Aston Martin bearing registration number TG-09-G-0666. The vehicle was allegedly being driven at high speed and in a rash and negligent manner, the FIR stated.
Bharathi suffered severe head injuries and bled heavily at the spot. Her friend Pooja informed the store manager, Ashwin Kumar, who called the police. The investigation is ongoing, and a notice has been served on the accused, police said.
The legal provision under which the case has been registered is part of the new criminal code that replaced the Indian Penal Code. Section 106(1) addresses negligence causing death and provides for imprisonment of up to five years along with a fine, though police officials have described the maximum punishment as less than seven years. Because the offence is bailable, the accused has not been taken into custody at this stage. Police have stated that all necessary procedures are being followed and that evidence will determine further action.
This incident has drawn attention due to the involvement of a politician's son, but officials have urged the public not to speculate and to allow the legal process to proceed. Authorities have appealed for any witnesses to come forward with information.
The case also highlights concerns about road safety in Hyderabad, where accidents involving speeding vehicles have been reported previously. Local residents have called for better enforcement of traffic rules and safer pedestrian crossings in commercial areas like Madhapur. Police have not commented on these broader concerns, focusing instead on the ongoing investigation.