🏠 News Empire
world

US-Iran Ceasefire Collapses After Trump Declares Deal 'Over', Fresh Strikes Erupt

Published on: 08 Jul 2026, 11:18 AM
US-Iran Ceasefire Collapses After Trump Declares Deal 'Over', Fresh Strikes Erupt

The fragile ceasefire between the United States and Iran appears to have unravelled after President Donald Trump declared the agreement 'over' following a new round of military exchanges. In remarks made ahead of a NATO summit in Turkey, Trump criticised Iranian leaders and indicated that further negotiations would be futile.

'I think it's over. I don't want to deal with them anymore,' Trump told reporters. He described Iranian officials as 'scum' and 'cuckoo', adding that they had violated the spirit of the interim deal signed in June. The agreement had called for a halt to hostilities and safe passage for vessels through the Strait of Hormuz, a vital waterway for global oil shipments.

The latest escalation began late Tuesday when three oil tankers were attacked in the Strait of Hormuz. The US Central Command (Centcom) said it launched 'powerful' military strikes in response. Early Wednesday, Iran claimed it targeted US military sites in Bahrain and Kuwait as retaliation for the American strikes. No casualties have been officially confirmed from either side.

Trump's comments caused oil prices to spike approximately 6%, though they remain below the highs reached during the full closure of the Strait earlier this year. The president also announced the revocation of a temporary suspension of sanctions on Iranian oil sales, effectively reinstating full economic pressure on Tehran.

The June ceasefire had been seen as a potential step toward broader negotiations, but mutual accusations of violations have persisted. Diplomatic efforts, including mediation by Oman and Iraq, have so far failed to restore calm. Analysts warn that the collapse of the truce could lead to a wider conflict with severe consequences for regional stability and global energy markets.

Iranian officials have not yet formally responded to Trump's latest statements, but state media reiterated their stance that the US had failed to honour its commitments under the interim deal. The United Nations has called for restraint from both parties.

Latest in World 10
Trump Says Iran Seeks Agreement but Not Ready for 'Right Deal'
world

Trump Says Iran Seeks Agreement but Not Ready for 'Right Deal'

US President Donald Trump says Iran wants an agreement but is not ready to accept Washington's terms. Trump also claimed US control over the Strait of Hormuz and defended the new economic pressure campaign. Iranian officials have dismissed the measures, saying previous sanctions also failed.

NDTV 22 Aug 2026, 12:35 AM
Read More →
→ View All World News