🏠 News Empire
india

Trump intervenes with FIFA to lift red card on US striker Balogun ahead of World Cup quarterfinal

Published on: 07 Jul 2026, 12:25 AM
Trump intervenes with FIFA to lift red card on US striker Balogun ahead of World Cup quarterfinal

United States President Donald Trump has acknowledged intervening with FIFA to have a red card against US men's national team striker Folarin Balogun rescinded, allowing the player to feature in the World Cup quarterfinal against Belgium.

The red card was shown to Balogun during the round of 16 match against Bosnia and Herzegovina for a foul on Tarik Muharemovic. The ban would have ruled him out of the quarterfinal.

According to reports from The New York Times, Trump contacted FIFA president Gianni Infantino three times to request a review of the decision. The US administration also involved lawyers, Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick and hedge fund manager Scott Goodwin, a donor to US Soccer.

On Sunday, FIFA announced the suspension had been lifted under Chapter 4, Article 27 of its Disciplinary Code, which allows a judicial body to suspend a disciplinary measure fully or partially. Trump posted on X: 'Thank you to FIFA for doing what was right and reversing a great injustice!'

Speaking later to reporters in the Oval Office, Trump said: 'All I did, I asked for a review, because I didn't think it was a foul... I didn't tell him what to do. I can't tell him what to do.' He described the incident as 'two guys running full speed that happened to crash into each other'.

This is not the first time a red card has been overturned at a World Cup. In 1962, Brazil's Garrincha was sent off but later let off with a warning after a linesman failed to attend a hearing. Heads of state have also intervened in the past, including Chilean and Brazilian presidents negotiating to allow Garrincha to continue playing.

However, under modern FIFA regulations, overturning one-match bans is rare. The Royal Belgian Football Federation has expressed astonishment and is considering an appeal. Belgium's coach, Rudi Garcia, said: 'I just found out that July 5 is FIFA's April Fools' Day.'

European football's governing body, UEFA, questioned FIFA's integrity, stating: 'Football, like any other sports, relies on rules, which are the basis for fair, honest and transparent competition. Sometimes rules are open to interpretation, but this case raises concerns.'

Balogun is the US team's top scorer with three goals. The quarterfinal against Belgium is scheduled for Tuesday.

Latest in India 10
Odia Poet Ashutosh Parida Honoured with Prestigious Sarala Puraskar
india

Odia Poet Ashutosh Parida Honoured with Prestigious Sarala Puraskar

Odia poet Ashutosh Parida has been named the winner of the 2025 Sarala Puraskar for his poetry collection 'Bishwas De Pruthwi'. The award, which includes ₹7 lakh, will be presented in Bhubaneswar on October 25. IMPaCT also announced the 2026 Kala Samman for Odissi maestro Guru Durga Charan Ranbir and sculptor Damodar Behera.

The Hindu 21 Aug 2026, 03:21 AM
Read More →
In Visakhapatnam's One Town, black dust is a daily health hazard
india

In Visakhapatnam's One Town, black dust is a daily health hazard

Residents of Visakhapatnam's One Town area battle black dust and respiratory ailments as air quality worsens. Data shows PM2.5 and nitrogen dioxide levels have crossed national limits, making the city a pollution hotspot. Families are taking measures like air purifiers while demanding action.

The Hindu 21 Aug 2026, 01:54 AM
Read More →
Bihar to Build 11.18 Lakh PMAY-G Houses, ₹13,427 Crore Sanctioned
india

Bihar to Build 11.18 Lakh PMAY-G Houses, ₹13,427 Crore Sanctioned

Union Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan announced that 11.18 lakh permanent houses will be built in Bihar under PMAY-G with an allocation of ₹13,427 crore. The announcement was made at a Grih Pravesh event where keys were handed over to beneficiaries. Chief Minister Samrat Choudhary highlighted the 40% state contribution.

The Hindu 21 Aug 2026, 01:56 AM
Read More →
→ View All India News