Rajasthan HC Seeks Answers as Dalit Family Attack Probe Shifts Among Six Officers
The Rajasthan High Court has intervened in a case of alleged land encroachment and attack on a Dalit family in Bharatpur district, expressing concern over the investigation being transferred among six officers over 26 months without a final report.
Jitendra Kumar, 24, a resident of Bayana block in Bharatpur, filed a writ petition seeking a fair investigation, completion of the probe, and filing of a chargesheet. The first information report (FIR) was registered on May 10, 2024, following an attack on Kumar and his family members in Kair village.
According to the petition, the accused — 12 members of the Gujjar community — allegedly attacked the family to encroach upon their agricultural land. The accused also filed a counter-case against the victims, which the police later found to be frivolous. However, the original case was investigated by six officers, including a Circle Officer and five Additional Superintendents of Police, with no conclusion.
Kumar argued that despite the lapse of 26 months and a provision in the Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989, requiring completion of the probe within 60 days, the police failed to act. He also stated that being called to join the investigation each time the case changed hands amounted to harassment.
The offences registered under the Indian Penal Code and the SC/ST (PoA) Act include rioting, attempt to commit culpable homicide, causing grievous hurt, unlawful assembly, criminal trespass, and criminal intimidation.
During the hearing, the current investigating officer, Dinesh Kumar Meena, told the court that the offences against the accused had been proved and that the probe result would be submitted in the trial court within two weeks.
Justice Shubha Mehta of the High Court's Jaipur Bench observed that the failure to complete the investigation in time was “concerning” and that no satisfactory reason had been given for the delay. The court directed the Public Prosecutor to obtain affidavits from all investigating officers, explaining why the probe was not completed in 60 days and reasons for the subsequent delay. Similar affidavits were sought from officers on the supervisory committee under Rule 7(3) of the SC/ST (PoA) Act.
The Centre for Dalit Rights (CDR) welcomed the High Court's order, stating that the investigation could have been completed and the accused arrested if authorities had complied with the statutory review mechanism. CDR Director Satish Kumar noted that the supervisory committee, which includes the Home Secretary, Director General of Police, Social Justice & Empowerment Secretary, and Director of Prosecution, is required to review pending cases under the Act every quarter. However, he said meetings were not held regularly and no relief was granted to Dalit victims.
The matter is scheduled for further hearing on September 7.