Odisha announces ₹1,000-crore flood relief, over 9.4 lakh affected across six districts
Odisha has been hit by a second spell of floods, prompting the State government to announce a ₹1,000-crore relief package. Chief Minister Mohan Charan Majhi made the announcement on Tuesday, saying the funds are meant for people affected in six districts. The announcement comes as the State, which had anticipated a dry spell, grapples with excess rainfall. The relief package comes after two successive rounds of flooding in the State.
The flooding has affected nearly 9.40 lakh people in Balasore, Bhadrak, Jajpur, Mayurbhanj, Keonjhar and Kendrapara districts, Mr. Majhi said during a press conference. “More than 3.70 lakh people have been moved to safer locations and 550 relief camps have been opened to provide cooked food. Free kitchens will continue until the situation improves,” he said. The first spell of floods had already caused damage and loss of lives earlier this season.
The Chief Minister noted that Odisha has received around 1,100 mm of rain since June, which is 34 per cent above normal. “This amount of rainfall is the highest in Odisha over a period of 25 years,” he said, attributing the flooding to unusually heavy rainfall. The State had earlier expected scant rain due to the El Niño weather pattern, but instead witnessed excess precipitation. The cumulative rainfall departure from normal is significant and has led to widespread inundation, causing rivers to overflow and low-lying areas to be submerged.
At least six persons were killed in the first spell of floods, while the government is yet to confirm the toll from the latest flooding. Around 100 people have suffered snakebites in the affected areas, but all survived, according to the Chief Minister. The number of casualties could rise as assessments are completed.
Under the relief package, small and marginal farmers whose crops have suffered damage of 33 per cent or more will receive agricultural input subsidy for up to two hectares. The rates are fixed at ₹8,500 per hectare for non-irrigated land, ₹17,000 for irrigated land, and ₹22,500 for perennial crops. The higher rate for perennial crops reflects the longer recovery period for orchards and plantations. The subsidy is intended to help farmers recover from the damage caused by the floods and is a crucial part of the support package.
Affected farmers will also get assistance through direct benefit transfer to buy paddy and non-paddy seeds. Vegetable mini-kits will be supplied free of cost, and a 75 per cent subsidy will be given for post-flood pest and disease management. The direct benefit transfer mechanism will ensure timely delivery of aid to the beneficiaries' bank accounts. Damaged lift irrigation projects will be repaired as part of the relief efforts.
The State government will also provide compensation for livestock losses and damage to boats and fishing nets. Short-term kharif agricultural loans, taken for the monsoon cropping season, will be converted into medium-term loans for willing farmers. This is expected to ease the repayment burden on farmers who have lost their crops. Additionally, ₹5,000 will be given to each artisan and weaver to replace damaged tools and cover losses of raw materials and finished products.
“The ₹1,000-crore package is based on preliminary estimation, and additional funds would be provided if required after getting the detailed damage assessment from the flood-hit districts,” the Chief Minister said. He assured that the government would scale up assistance based on ground realities.
For rescue and relief operations, the government has deployed 45 Odisha Disaster Rapid Action Force teams, eight National Disaster Response Force teams, and 65 Fire Services teams. These teams have been mobilized to assist with rescue operations, evacuation, and distribution of relief materials in the affected areas.
A detailed damage assessment is expected to be completed in the coming weeks, which will determine the final quantum of relief.
(With inputs from PTI)