🏠 News Empire
india

Lawyer Who Attacked Ex-CJI Gavai Assaulted Inside Delhi Court

Published on: 03 Jul 2026, 01:08 AM
Lawyer Who Attacked Ex-CJI Gavai Assaulted Inside Delhi Court

NEW DELHI: Advocate Rakesh Kishore, who had assaulted former Chief Justice of India B.R. Gavai inside a courtroom in October, was attacked by a group of men inside the Karkardooma court complex here on Tuesday, December 10, 2025.

Videos of the incident, which rapidly spread on social media, show the 71-year-old lawyer being struck and pushed by several individuals. In the footage, Mr. Kishore can be heard shouting “Sanatan Dharma ki jai ho” while attempting to defend himself. Some of the attackers are heard accusing him of misbehaving with the then Chief Justice, while others appear to be intervening to stop the assault.

According to a report by PTI, the attack was allegedly triggered by a dispute over an auto-rickshaw fare. However, Mr. Kishore told ANI that around 100 people attacked him without provocation. “When those people were hitting me, I asked them why they were doing so. They answered that it was because of the incident with the then CJI Gavai,” he said.

Police have not yet issued an official statement regarding the incident.

Mr. Kishore had previously gained notoriety for flinging papers at Justice Gavai during an open court hearing in October. He later admitted that he was upset over remarks made by Justice Gavai about the Hindu religion, which he claimed provoked his action. Following that incident, the Bar Association suspended Mr. Kishore. The Supreme Court declined to initiate contempt proceedings against him, noting that Justice Gavai himself was not inclined to pursue the matter and that such proceedings might “glorify” the attacker.

The latest attack raises questions about the security of legal professionals within court premises and highlights the ongoing tensions surrounding the earlier incident.

Latest in India 10
From Kumbh Mela to Bihar: India's recurring stampede tragedy
india

From Kumbh Mela to Bihar: India's recurring stampede tragedy

Stampedes have claimed thousands of lives in India during religious events. From the 1954 Kumbh Mela to the recent Ashok Dham Temple tragedy, systemic crowd-management failures persist. Experts urge stronger safety measures and long-term planning to prevent future disasters.

The Hindu 17 Aug 2026, 03:36 AM
Read More →
→ View All India News