KPSC Scam: ED Searches IAS Officer's Homes in Bengaluru, UP
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Sunday conducted searches at the residences of Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer Gyanendra Kumar Gangwar in Bengaluru and Bareilly, as part of its money laundering investigation into alleged irregularities in a Karnataka Public Service Commission (KPSC) examination, officials said.
Gangwar, a 2016-batch IAS officer, is currently posted as Director of MSME in the Karnataka Department of Industries and Commerce. He previously served as the Controller of Examinations at the KPSC and was replaced in that role in March this year.
The searches were carried out under the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) at Gangwar's premises in Bengaluru's Jayamahal area and in Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh. Officials did not immediately confirm whether Gangwar was present at either location during the searches.
The development follows a brief controversy on Saturday when Gangwar was reported to be “missing” for a few hours. Karnataka Home Minister Priyank Kharge denied these reports, clarifying that Gangwar was at his native place in Uttar Pradesh owing to a family emergency concerning his father's health. Kharge said he had personally spoken to the officer, who had assured that he would return soon.
“Circumstances might have led to such conclusions, but nothing of that sort happened,” Kharge said. He added, “While the circumstances might suggest a link to the KPSC, he (Gangwar) has very clearly said that he is open to an inquiry by any agency as a government servant. There are no allegations against him currently, and no one has filed an application seeking an inquiry against him; let this be very clear.”
This is not the first round of searches in the case. On August 18, the ED had conducted searches at the KPSC head office in Bengaluru, as well as at the premises of former KPSC Chairman Shivashankarappa S Sahukar, former member Shanta Hosmani, and others.
The central agency's probe relates to alleged irregularities in the recruitment of Veterinary Officers. According to the ED, middlemen allegedly contacted candidates, including the complainant, demanding bribes ranging from Rs 70 lakh to Rs 80 lakh per candidate for securing selection. The agency is also examining allegations of paper leaks, tampering with OMR answer sheets, and facilitation in the final selection of relatives of KPSC officials.
In a related move last week, the Karnataka Cabinet decided to recommend to Governor Thaawarchand Gehlot the suspension of Sahukar. This decision came after the Karnataka High Court quashed an earlier suspension order against Sahukar and directed his reinstatement, while noting that fresh proceedings could be initiated if the prescribed constitutional procedure is followed.
The investigation into the KPSC recruitment case is ongoing, with authorities continuing to examine financial transactions and other evidence linked to the alleged scam.